Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help

hi , im new to this site and i really need some help . i have a 10 gallon planted tank i set up a while ago , i set it up with about an inch and a half with gravel and then river sand meant for a turtle tank on top (gravel for the plant roots to grab). and i aquascaped it with 2 pieces of im guessing is granite rock i found outside and washed thoroughly with hot water and a few small decoration rocks around it , it has a canister filter and was running , i added a compacta sword and some dwarf hairgrass , i had a boom of hair algae and it slowly killed the dwarf hairgrass , i added a big amazon sword plant and a free runner from a sword i got from my lfs , all the swords grow very fast and i find new leaves constantly , i added 9 ghost shrimp , 2 died , i had 7 living in the tank for 2 weeks after it was there with just plants for about 2 , after the 2 weeks with the shrimp i added an oto catfish , which hid for the first few days but is active alot now and has gotten fatter.
the tank was crystal clear all the way up to a 2 weeks after adding the otto , i do regular 30% water changes weekly with tap water , i live in the country with a private well that has iron and manganese in it but nothing else , i ordered 10 cherry shrimp from alpha pro breeders and some java moss , i paid for the cheapest shipping , i recieved 2 alive and the moss , the moss i tied on some slate i washed with fishing line and the first shrimp died the first night , the second one died this morning 2 days later , the water was cloudy when i put the cherries in the tank , which i also took out the ghost shrimp , and i did a water change befor adding them and another one yesterday because it keeps getting cloudier , why is the water cloudy? the plants looks good and are growing like crazy exept for the moss but it is very new so has a little brown , and the otto seems to be doing great , the ghost shrimp never died but i took them out because i heard they would be mean to cherries , and the ghost shrimp seemed very happy when they were in it just like the otto.
why is it cloudy and why did the cherries die? what can i do
thanks

Last edited by brycecouture; 12-22-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome to TPT Brycecouture. I am sure we will be able to help you figure out what problems you are having but I can tell you first off a good idea when asking for help with a tank is to post your parameters. If you have not tested these that is your first step. Temperature, pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite are good to start with. That will rule out simple issues or point of the initial changes you need to make, as the case may be.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
thank you! and the temp stays about 73-80 , i do not have a heater , it is in a room that is kept warm , i dont like using heaters since i have had 3 malfunction and kill my livestock.
i had some tests and i have misplaced them and havnt been able to test in a while , and im 16 so its hard for me to just go spend the money for extra ones , it is a very low tech tank , the light is reefsun 18" zoomed , i know its meant for corals , i had a nano reef befor and this light was left over and it grows the plants very well and makes the tank look nice

Tags
shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode