Setting up a 2.5 gallon - Comments/Suggs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up a 2.5 gallon - Comments/Suggs?

Hello, this is my first post at plantedtank.net.

I am setting up my first "real" planted tank, a small 2.5 gallon.
I just wanted to run the setup by the more experienced tank planters for comments or suggestions before I begin.

Luckily, I live within walking distance from ADG... had I known this earlier I probably would have gone with a mini cube, but a $10 2.5 gallon should work out fine.

I was going to go with a Current Satellite Single 18w 10k/460nm for the light.

I was going to go with Amazonia II Aqua Soil, normal type, and Powersand Special S. Will the grain sizes of this be OK? Do I need the sand or can I stick with just the soil?

Is a CO2 system necessary, and if so, would a cheap one like this be sufficient for a small tank?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113779

As for stock, I was thinking an Oto and a dwarf crayfish (if I can find one) and maybe a small fish or two (TBD).

Any comments appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

OK, here is a small tank I threw together for my kitchen table. This is actually what got me into planted tanks in the first place.

Its not very well planned out, its got a couple of cheap PetCo plants that come in the plastic containers that I have no idea what they are, really (shameful I know).
1 Small snail
1 Male and 1 Female Dwarf Pufferfish
1 Ghost Shrimp
1 Red Cherry Shrimp, which is tiny and I'm surprised the puffers haven't made dinner of him yet.
The substrate is generic spectra stone and I drop in a small piece of fizzing Co2/trace element tablet once a week with the water change.
Red Sea nano filter
Red Sea Deco palm light

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Well now that is the nicest little 1g tank I've seen for the shape.

As far as the 2.5g. You can do the aqua soil alone.

CO2 will help. But dont buy one of those "pre made containers" All it is is a fancy soda bottle. Read up on creating your own DIY CO2 unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I think 18 watts in a 2.5 gallon would be sufficient enough to grow most plants.

Good luck!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via MSN to crisrisl
I run an 18W fixture on my tank and I think it works well...anything less seems a bit insufficient. Though I think the bulb you are mentioning may be a 50/50 partially actinic bulb? That isn't the most ideal bulb for plants.

In regard to CO2, I guess that is up to you. For such a small tank, I have always just used excel, but if you choose to go with CO2, I would agree that you might want to look into DIY rather than that system.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The DIY CO2 is definately the way to go.

The 50/50 bulb is 10k "daylight" and 460nm Actinic... I thought the 460nm would be good for the plants since the chlorophyl graphs all show a spike in response around that wavelength...
I see a lot of 6700k lights, is that the way to go then?

Last edited by Reeferton; 08-17-2007 at 11:27 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferton View Post
Thanks for the replies. The DIY CO2 is definately the way to go.

The 50/50 bulb is 10k "daylight" and 460nm Actinic... I thought the 460nm would be good for the plants since the chlorophyl graphs all show a spike in response around that wavelength...
I see a lot of 6700k lights, is that the way to go then?
Actinic bulbs are mainly for saltwater reef tanks that contain coral. It isn't appropriate for planted tanks. A bulb with a Kelvin rating between 5,500K-10,000K is recommended for keeping live plants.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Go with the Mini-Aqualight by coralife....it's 2x9w and they make them for freshwater planted tanks which come with 6700k bulbs which would be more appropriate for the tank. I had one over my 2.5g and it grew plants just pretty good. I did the leg mod so that I could stand it over the 2.5g and run open top.

http://www.geocities.com/jhoetzl/tan...mini/index.htm

ADG will make anyone hooked on their stuff! There is FishGallery not too far from them too along with Fish Ranch a little further down and then CityPets which has some nice display tanks along with ADA products.

FUNction over form

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

I'll either get a Current Satellite and swap the light out for a dual daylight, or get a FW mini aqualight and mount on some docking legs, or hang it.

I havent been to Fish Ranch or CityPets, I need to check them out.
As for Fish Gallery.. well, lets just say I have my own reasons not to go.
Then on Fuqua and I-45 is Megan's Tropical Emporium, which is a bit of a drive but I am also friends with Megan. Not much for the aquatic plants, but otherwise a nice store.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I didn't see anyone else mention this, so I thought I'd say something.
Your dwarf puffers may eat your shrimp.
As for Co2, skip that setup you linked to. Instead, do either DIY or Excel. I believe Excel is just fine for nano tanks.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I ended up doing DIY Co2 with a cheap nano diffuser off eBay. See my post "Reefertons 2.5 gallon."

As for the shrimp, my gilrfriend's puffer has eaten a total of 4 RCS and 2 Amanos, but my puffer seems to leave them alone. However I keep my puffer well fed and my girlfriend sometimes misses a feeding here and there.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

Nice little tank Reeferton, I like it.

Can you tell me where did you buy the tank please ? I 'need' one for a little empty space in my step parent's house and one of these must fit perfectly.Yes, I confess I've got the infamous M.T.S. (Multiple Tank Syndrome)

Thanks in Advance.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Late response, but if you still need to know its about $13.00 at PetSmart w/ a crappy undergravel filter and a light hood that takes candelabra bulbs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode