Sydney's 7g Rimless Nano - First Ever - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sydney's 7g Rimless Nano - First Ever

Hello TPT! In honor of my one year aniversary of truly keeping fish tanks, (Jan. 1st) I am starting my very first ever rimless nano!

Tank Specs!
CAD Lights seven gallon low iron rimless
16"x10"x10"

Lighting
Finnex Fuge Ray R - Should put me at a good medium light

Substrate
Eco Complete Fine Grain

Filtration
Good ole' Aquaclear 20

Co2
Will be dosing glut (a 14 year old can't afford pressurized right now )

Flora
AR Mini
S. Repens
Elatine Triandra
Abunias Petite
Hygro. Brown
Bacopa Australis
Plant list may change... but if I think about it too much I will never decide on anything!

Fauna
10x Sundadanio Axelrodi - Blue Form
Yellow Neos
?

I've been planning this tank for a while on another forum, but I figured I couldn't leave you guys out on the fun
Still hunting for a good piece of driftwood. Have PM'd Mr. Barr, been looking at aquabid and [Ebay Link Removed] There are a few pieces at manzanita-driftwood.com that would work if I cut them down to size.

Scape sketch:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Weeeeell

My driftwood search was unsuccessful, so I referred to Mr. Barr and will be getting some DW from him. Still looking for Bacopa Australis, otherwise I've got my plants lined up. Also found some shrimp. Question - how soon after the tank is set up can I add shrimp? Will be stealing filter media from three of my four tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
As soon as the tank is cycled you can dump in shrimp. The advantage to waiting though, is that more biofilm would build up in the tank for the shrimp to munch on

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey fellow Washingtonian We used to live not far from Ellensburg. I will be getting some plants from established tanks, so hopefully the lack of biofilm will be a non-issue.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hope you all had a merry Christmas

I got the tank and LED light, boy is it ever pretty. This is my first rimless tank, and I am in love!! And the led light is pretty cool as well. Substrate has been ordered from Petco (was $18 for 20lbs so went with regular grain since its so cheap!) Plants will be shipped Saturday, and hopefully driftwood as well. Will add some more details and pics of the tank later

So I'm thinking of picking a different plant than the bacopa, suggestions? Also thinking about adding a pair of peacock gudgeons, or a small group of sparkling gouramis. Have any suggestions for other livestock/centerpiece fish? Not wanting a scarlet badis. Really wanting to buy another apisto/ram but this tank is too small, I believe.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some updates:

Will be changing the bacopa out for ludwigia red.
Tom will be shipping the driftwood out Saturday.
Tank should be up and running Monday or Tuesday, hopefully new years at the latest.
Ordered Eco Complete (regular grain), phosphate test kit, and a couple other things from petco yesterday.

Still wanting opinions on additional livestock or a centerpiece fish to add. Also, would a black background look ok?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Since nobody is replying...... I suppose I will just turn this into a log for myself.

Seems like the tank will be started friday, though I hope it happens before!
Wanting to turn the HOB filter into a planted HOB filter so I will do some research on that. Excited to get this tank started.

Decided to go with the frosty background over the black background. And my centerpiece fish will be a pair of peacock gudgeons.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Super excited to see this tank! Sorry no one else is replying. I too am trying to get a planted tank going but you are definitely ahead of me. Good luck!

Teenager fish keeper, African cichlids and trying to start a 10 gallon planted tank.

Thats my youtube channel. Check it out!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
can't wait to see pics
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Rex, welcome to the forum Nice to see another teen on here If you need any help shoot me a PM

-Sydney

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plants arrived so tank is filled.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Plants arrived so tank is filled.
Let's see some pictures!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well the plants are just floating in water The substrate won't be here till Friday.

Tank is filterless right now. The aquaclear was making a terrible rattling noise, so I took it apart and its still loud. I have two AC 70's, an aqueon 30, and an aquatec 5-15. One AC doesn't have a motor or an impeller. One does but the little magnetic shaft is missing? The aqueon, last time I used it, doesn't work. The aquatec does, but is has hardly ANY room for media. So not sure what do to. I could buy a new AC20 for about $25, or a sunsun canister for $30. Tempted to buy the Sunsun. I could look into what a new AC motor/impeller would cost. Problem is I only have about $60 for shrimp, fish, and anything else I want/need for the tank. My parents said they would help pay for or buy the fish... But still, I don't have a lot left.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sydney and Rex you should both join the teens club!

Sent from my BRAIN

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
BALLA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

~Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode