Halogen on 15" tall 7.5 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Halogen on 15" tall 7.5 Gallon

I'm going to put this in my kitchen and was hoping to use some Ikea wall lamps. They all seem to use Halogen bulbs.

Should I be using the same watt per gallon rule (which is already fairly approximate.. I know... using lux as a measurement is more accurate ... honestly.. too much math for me) that we use for our large sized tanks?

Does 40 watts of Halogen lighting equal 40 Watts of a PC lamp?

-scherzo

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 10 Gallon Planted - Florabase - Shrimp - Press CO2
~ 30 Gallon 2 Convict Cichlids - Root Therm - Fluval 205
~ 55 Gallon Planted - Fluorite - Root Therm - Fluval 305 - XP3 - Press CO2 - Community
~ 75 Gallon soon to come
~ 90 Gallon Planted - ADA Aquasoil - Root Therm -2 X XP3 Press CO2 - Community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo View Post
I'm going to put this in my kitchen and was hoping to use some Ikea wall lamps. They all seem to use Halogen bulbs.

Should I be using the same watt per gallon rule (which is already fairly approximate.. I know... using lux as a measurement is more accurate ... honestly.. too much math for me) that we use for our large sized tanks?

-scherzo
I wouldn't recommend using halogen lights on that large of a tank. I have a 35 Watt Halogen on a 2 Gal and it's about right, it heats the tank quite a bit during the day also.

I would recommend a light that uses this bulb.

http://www.naturallighting.com/web/s...on=show_detail

Home depot has a couple desk lamps that use this bulb along with some outdoor floods. I have it on a 15 Gal hex and it's good for a low light tank, on your smaller tank it should be mid to high light. the bulbs you get with the fixture are OK but for a replacement try the one in the link. it has a CRI of 96.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Halogen will heat the water and cause algae.
They put too much energy into heat, and not much into light.

my advise, find an incandescent lamp and use a spiral compact bulb.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:

-scherzo
No... Divide the wattage of the Halogen lamp by 4 to get an approximate equivalent of the PC light output.

Example, a 100W Halogen bulb would give you about the same light output as a 25W PC bulb. 40W of Halogen light are about 10W of PC light. Depends of course a bit on the exact kind of bulb, but it's a good approximate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
im going to be setting up a 2g nano cube at work and was wanting to use like a desk lamp for lighting, the only bulbe that i can find are the twisty fluorescent that are 60w im pretty sure that too much!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Make a visit to Home Depot. They have a variety of Power Compact desk-lamps that a number of us at TPT use. The 18W fixtures and 27W fixtures will be more than sufficient for your 2G tank. Click my sig and go to the 1st page to see one of the lamps HD stocks.

--Daniel

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
im going to be setting up a 2g nano cube at work and was wanting to use like a desk lamp for lighting, the only bulbe that i can find are the twisty fluorescent that are 60w im pretty sure that too much!
I am pretty sure if you look closer it will say something like 60W light output. Again, what that means is that an incandescent or halogen bulb would use that much wattage to emit about that much light. The twisty bulb will actually only use maybe 15W, and this is what we use in Watt per gallon calculations.

You can find U-shaped fluorescent bulbs at 10W...

For smaller tanks, the W/gal calc breaks down. A 10 or 15W bulb isn't really too much for any small tank. Whether your tank is 2gal or 15oz, it will provide a similar light level.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

My local true value hardware store has a desk lamp that uses the 27 Watt Quad for $15.00 right now.

Home depot has one for $20.00.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A couple of the Home Depots that I visited here locally (Vancouver, BC Canada) don't have the desk lamps that use the PC bulbs. I did find a store today that had one but it was $60 CDN!

I'll keep looking.

-scherzo

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 55 Gallon Planted - Fluorite - Root Therm - Fluval 305 - XP3 - Press CO2 - Community
~ 75 Gallon soon to come
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpimm View Post
My local true value hardware store has a desk lamp that uses the 27 Watt Quad for $15.00 right now.

Home depot has one for $20.00.
Where are these stores you visited in Washington? I'm going down in the next month.

------------------
~ 5 Gallon Platy Fry
~ 7 Gallon Nano - Shrimp
~ 75 Gallon soon to come
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Where are these stores you visited in Washington? I'm going down in the next month.
I'm east of Vancouver, WA in Washougal the true value is the local hardware store, I checked their website but it was useless, you might be able to find a store where you are going with it www.truevaluehardware.com. all of the Home Depot's in this area have the desk light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode