Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Activated Carbon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Activated Carbon?

Hi all. I was wondering if others had any advice on using the activated carbon supplied with the fluval spec aquarium. I have one that's been going for about 6 months and the water is crystal clear and I've never had any algae. The plants are various crypts and a couple dwarf Lillie's? Should the carbon be used at all times? I have some eheim media, should I put it in a mesh bag and replace the carbon with it?

Any advice would be appreciated

Mike

Last edited by mikep; 12-19-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would use the Eheim substrate, I haven't used charcoal in years. If you ever think you need some help with water clarity add some seachem purigen to a mesh bag. You could a,so use seachem matrix.

By the way, tank looks great, really like it a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CLUB MEMBER!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
In my spec v I use seachem matrix as the biomedia, and seachem purigen for chemical filtration. I tossed the carbon.

Carbon can be useful, along with water changes, if you need to remove chemicals after treating your tank for something, but in general, I don't think it's necessary.

I use purigen because I have driftwood in my water which can cause a yellowish tinge, and I also put in dried leaves from time to time, and since I don't boil the tannins out first, those can definitely tint your water. The purigen soaks all those up and keeps the water crystal clear.

In a spec v, you can put a bag of purigen in the space between/under the two chambers very easily. I don't know that you need it though. Your tank looks very lush and healthy.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't use any carbon at all in my planted tank & my water is crystal clear, I think you'll be fine without it. Only time i used carbon is in non planted tanks or tanks that I've treated with chemicals

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode