New Fluval Spec V setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
New Fluval Spec V setup

I just began my Fluval Spec V tonight. Pretty excited and think it looks good myself. I used MGOCPM capped with black sand. I upgraded the light to the 18Ē Current Satellite Plus. I planted Tetra packages of Staurogyne repens and Pogostemon helferi. Got it covered with saran wrap to see if the plants take first before flooding it. Any recommendations on how long I should wait before flooding it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CLUB MEMBER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)
Its soo pretty!!! I never did a "dry start".... that's what they call it right??
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's called a dry start and that's as far as I know about it. It's on my to-read list to learn. I also set up my nano Evolve 4 tonight with dirt. Just wanted to drop a line and say your aquascape looks great.

29 Gallon
Aqueon Evolve 4

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:51 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think it's beautiful. I could sit and look at that 2nd pic all day.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the compliments! This is going to get moved to my office so I wanted a nice looking scape. Its my best effort yet, got inspired from looking at the amazing work people have done here and input from my friend (thanks jrh), and trying new things like dirt and dry starts. I'll look for input on fauna too. Haven't made up my mind on just shrimp or fish or to try both.

CLUB MEMBER!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like you're off to a great start! I'll be setting up a spec v in the next little month or so and I'm thinking about doing a dry start too. I'll be excited to see your progress!

Les temps sont durs pour les rÍveurs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1/4/13 update- flood day

Hi, just figured I'd share the progress of my Spec V. I planted it Dec 18 and the plants have filled in nicely, and gotten very green. I even trimmed a few of the S. repens and replanted the tops. The Downoi was particularly sad looking, but has greened up nicely, and I see some new growth. So today I'm going to take it to my office and flood it.

Here are some pics prior to the trip to work:

Looking back at my first post shows some nice growth. Now to see how this does flooded.

CLUB MEMBER!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great! Can't wait to see it flooded. Have you decided on livestock yet?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And its flooded

thanks for the compliments.

Here it is flooded, better picture Monday when I go back to work, overhead lights were off. As far as livestock goes, I'm not 100% certain. Chili rasbora, CPDs, and or pygmy cories and some shrimp and a nerite or two if needed. Not too sure how much of either fish I can have, was hoping for 6-8 of each (Chili's and CPDs). I'm totally open to suggestions, so send them in I saw some pictures of gertrudae rainbows and thought that might be cool. Added some water lettuce, and to help with the cycle media from another tank.

CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by BillV; 01-05-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added pic
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you injecting CO2? Although I don't know the stats on that light, it looks like it may be fairly high light. I've got a spec V with a 16" fugeray and i get some heavy algae if it's sitting on the hood (roughly 10" from substrate).

Scape looks great btw and nice that it's an office tank. My spec v is also in my office
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good Bill.

I have the same setup you guys do, and I got an algae bloom when I replaced the stock light.

I added plants (including floaters), started dosing excel, and the algae problems went away.

Last edited by jrh; 01-06-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: sleep editing
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

STS 100, No, I don't have any CO2 injection. I have excel I dose. Current USA lists the par value at 36 @ 12 inches. This is abt 10 inches. I'm running the light right now 8-5. I believe I'm medium light. I can adjust the brightness so I hope that helps manage any potential problems.

CLUB MEMBER!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks good, my fiances that i set up does not look as nice as urs tho!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
i think the wood look too big for this tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode