Is there hope for me--trying to go nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is there hope for me--trying to go nano?

I'm thinking about making a nano tank but I've not had a good history with plants. I have a planted 30 gal. I have appropriate lighting and substrate. It's low tech. But almost every plant I've ever put in there melts and I have a ton of algae I have to scrape off a lot. Right now I have anubias nana and the petite form. I have some sort of tall plant I don't know the name. These two plants do well and grow well and my tank is thickly planted with them. Although the anubias has some black residue on it. I also have marsilea minutia that hasn't died but also doesn't grow.

And I did ok with java moss but I had to take it out because it got this really dirty look to it and started to get everywhere. It was nasty. Otherwise everything melts and dies. Vals, pennywort, dwarf sag, and I bought a plant package from someone and almost everything in it didn't make it .

SO would it just be a really bad idea to try a nano tank? I saw a sort of wide cylinder type bowl that I think was 2 gal. I would like to use something like that for my betta. I also don't want to do high tech so maybe this is not possible? Can you make a nano bowl without CO2/high light? Can you grow more than just say... moss? And more importantly, given my history, would it be possible for me to grow more than moss? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's kind of hard to tell without knowing what your setup and routine is like. What kind of lighting? Substrate? Do you use CO2? Do you dose? Do you have any fauna in your tank?

A lot of nano enthusiasts have great luck with nano tanks, bowls, and vases with just being low-tech. I mainly stick to low-light plants like anubias, Java ferns, and moss because it's what I can grow and maintain in my tank. I don't have the lighting or substrate for most stem plants so while I've tried they usually either melt or die off.

There are people who can get plants to carpet with no CO2 and minor maintenance but I'm not sure what kind of wizardry they use :P
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks skindy for your reply.

My big tank is low tech. I think maybe I need to start dosing with ferts and maybe that is the problem. I am not sure. Once when I posted a picture of it, someone said it looked like my plants my have a deficiency.

But I'm worried it's just my weird well water. Which is soft and the pH starts out at 6.0 but if you leave it in a clean bucket it goes up to 7.6 I have a hard time keeping fish as well. I have 4 ocelot danios that seem to be doing well so far. Longest I've kept a fish alive is about 9 months. I have some amano shrimp and they do ok. They've been around a few years now.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
U could try cryptocoryne. They tend to melt when first plant but come back nicely. Do you use root tabs. Sword plants can be grown fairly easily with root tabs. Also I like to float anarchris or frogbit. They will grow well. Mostly you just have find plants that work for you. Have you tried dwarf Sagittaria? Dwarf tiger lotus has done well for me. You have to prep the bulbs though. Also sword plants are nice. Bolbitis grows slow but is fairly hardy. I don't use co2. Just try and plant the tank at least 40 percent full. When I started out it was hard too. Also I have Windlov java fern in almost every tank I have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode