First 2.5 Gal Nano. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
First 2.5 Gal Nano.

I'm gonna be starting a 2.5 gal tank soon. I'm planning to use a soil substrate in this tank and I'm contemplating do this completely El Natural. The only problem I'd have with the El Natural is that I have no place to put the tank so it would get natural sun light. I'll probably have to use a CF desk light. Anyone have any experience with a tank this size done in this manner?

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've started a 2.5 with a 27w desk lamp and Oil-Dri (from automotive section, used for cleaning oil spills but made by the same company that makes turfmaster product). So far so good. You can see a picture in my thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...new-2-5-a.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
How is the Oil-Dri working for you in that tank? In reading your description of it I was thinking that I could mix it with some Peat. That sound viable?

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's working great. Water is crystal clear, plants are thriving. I'm definatley thinking this is a good idea. I added flourish root tabs, about 5 of them, to make up for what the oil-dri is lacking. But 5 bucks on root tabs beats a lot more on fancy substrates.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (29/100%)
I have three El natural tanks 2 get direct sunlight and 1 doesn't, I have 36 watts of T-5NO lights on a 25 Gal tank and it works fine. you should be fine with out direct sunlight, might just need a little more light.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:29 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm extremely interested in the whole "OIL-DRI" concept. You havent had any ill results yet? What's the longest you have had the OIL-DRI in a tank? I'm worried that because it's clay based that it might break down over time. However, the website says it wont dissolve in water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode