2.5 gallons, what to do...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 gallons, what to do...?

One of my bettas just kicked the bucket and now I've got an empty 2.5 gallon tank. Its one of those black-framed Perfecto ones, with a glass lid. I'd desperately love to plant it!

I figure I'll snatch up one o' those Azoo palm filters and a mini heater. I'll dose Flourish Excel for CO2, and I've got an extra 20lb bag of EcoComplete laying around that I can use for substrate.

But I'm stuck on how to light the dang thing! What does everyone else use to light their nanos? Please give all advice. I'm still pretty new to planted tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Zer
Algae Grower

You could use a regular screw in desk lamp with a large daylight CF, or you can use a pin-type CF desklamp either one. The Coralife mini aqualight puts 18w of CF over your tank and has dimensions 9" x 5" x 2". The AH Supply 13w Bright Kit would also fit, but you would have to build your own canopy structure of some sort. They do have some of the best reflectors on the market and might even get more light into the tank than the coralife.

PS, if your going planted, you may want a mini cannister instead of the Azoo HOB.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 04:38 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
if you click the link in my sig for the 2.5 gal you can follow it to other pics of the tank with shots of my DIY canopy. I have a screw in 10w CF bulb over mine with DIY co2 and the tank goes like crazy. I spent all of $15 on the canopy for everything.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
you can buy a Lights of America 27w quad PC desk lamp at wal-mart for 20 bucks. That's what I did. I've got the same tank. You can see the tank in my profile.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Hrm, looks like the coralife is my best bet since I don't have any wood working skills, but how does is mount over the tank? Do I just put it on top of the glass?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between canister and HOB filters?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Zer
Algae Grower

okay pixie, I am not sure of the dimensions of the tank you have, but it very well might sit on the glass of your tank quite well. You could also try hanging it above the tank as a pendant.

The walmart light might be your easiest solution, because you will just adjust the light to sit over your tank.

A canister filter is external of the tank and pressurizes water through a closed system while a HOB (Hang On Back) hangs on the glass of your tank. The advantage of a canister is that it is a closed loop which prevents CO2 from degassing from your water. It also tends to lend a cleaner look to the tank. This unit is small and can either hang on your tank or sit next to it. I cannot really endorse the product, but I have heard that they work well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 AM

I have a mini aqualight on my 2.5 gallon and yes it just sits on top of the glass. with about 1.5 inch on each side and 1/2 inch front to back of free space

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode