The Planted Tank Forum banner

Want to start up a Nano planted tank

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ray1214 
#1 ·
All I've got is a 5 gal hex with a 14 watt aqua glow light (t-8 I believe), 1 Betta, power bio wheel filter and air.

So, as a non-experienced plant person. What's the best way to go about planting some low-moderate light requiring plants?

I've got some red sea substrate (left over from using it on a hex 20 gal with some ferns) and I'm thinking of using a deep dish of some sort to keep the substrate seperate from the cheap coloured rocks I'm using for my betta.

Would this be enough? Should I use CO2? Would CO2 be a waste because of the surface agitation from the power filter?

My 20 gal fern is just barely hanging on with the light it's got in it (a 20 watt 8" power glo) and I'm going to add a MH light to it (both tanks are side by side so the extra light will affect both tanks). I figure on hanging the light and shining it into the tank like a lamp.

Thanks for any help! Trying to get into growing plants and this forum is just perfect!

#3 ·
As far as your 5 gal. I have a 3 gal eclipse, with the stock 8 watt light 67K. I have cacomba, water wisteria and a dwarf sword as well as java fern. All seem to grow well, but the wisteria and the cacomba has to be pruned back from time to time to make sure the sword gets enough light. My wife has a 5 gal hex, with a 28 watt PC bulb in it. I personally think the light doesn't make it to the bottom but it her java fern is doing well and her anubias is planted at near the top of the tank on a piece of driftwood.

Ray

#7 ·
Yes, I use Seachem Flourish and Flourish Trace, once a week. Also every 5th Water Change (I change a gallon) has a tsp of salt in it.

Other than that, I have no algae problems with the exception of a light haze every once in a while. That be it. and I change the filter pad once every 3 months (Once a week it gets rinsed and cleaned.)

RAy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.