7g Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was hoping you guys might be able to offer a little advice towards my current situation, which is as follows;

I have a 7g bowfront thats been sitting empty for quite awhile now. Because it used to be a nano reef it has a 32watt retrofit PC fixture, which gives me over 4 watts per gallon, not to mention its a shallow tank. Because of the high light intensity, I've been thinking that a shallow stream biotope would be perfect for this tank. I could even connect a small powerhead to a Coralife Power Center for some wave action. Anyways, here are some questions I was hoping you guys could assist me with.

1) What sort of plants would do well in this environment while still fitting in with the stream biotope? I've been looking through Amano's first two Nature Aquarium World books and have decided to go with a somewhat spacious aquascape, with some smooth rocks here and there. As far as plants go I was thinking that long, flowing, tall leafed plants would look pretty nice with small patches of ground cover here and there. (If only my knowledge of plant names were what it used to be.)

2) Because of the small size of the tank, I really don't want any bulky CO2 injecting equipment, pipes, tubes, etc. inside of the tank. While browsing the LFS today I noticed that Seachem has a Flourish Carbon liquid supplement available. Would this be a sufficient replacement for CO2 injection?

3)Can anyone recommend a small powerhead that is durable enough to withstand being used as a wavemaker?

Any other advice is most appreciated and thanks in advance for any assistance offered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:46 PM

Man o man, 4.5 watts per gallon in a 7 gallon without CO2 over a shallow tank, that could be difficult. Were you going to try and reduce the amount of light? I did 34 watts over a normal 10 gallon and had tons of algae. I am no expert in this area, just an algae grower, but it sounds like you could have a lot of algae if you didn't monitor this setup a lot. If you are going to put a powerhead in the tank, you could just have CO2 bubble into that powerhead. That would reduce that intrusion into the tank. It isn't the most effecient way of disolving CO2, but I've found I have no problems getting my CO2 up that way. I've actually had to increase my surface agitation in small tanks to keep the CO2 down.

As for plants, I don't have an immediate response.

Good luck, this could be fun if you are willing to take some risks and work on the tank regularily.

Tony
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

I have flow in my planted tants. I used the mini powerheads, I can't rmember the name brand, but they are from 30gph up to 200 gph. I start out with plants like java fern or anubias that I can attach to driftwood using rubberbands. My personal fave is Dwarf lilies with the bulb attached heavy enough to not be disrupted by the flow.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.
Reef, Planted, vivarium, terriarium, salt.

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
IME Echinodorus tenellus can deal with flow and high light and it remains in a manageable size for a 7 gallon. I would try Ludwigia too. I heard that Flourish Excel is quite beneficial for a small tank, haven't tried it myself.

There are small HOB filters that don't take up much space in a tank, the only thing inside would be the inlet pipe. They can double as CO2 diffusers, but are not very efficient.

Making waves is a new concept for a planted tank (I think), let us know how it turns out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode