2g Planted... lights making it too hot? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to jrsy91gmc
Hi all, first post here...

I'm starting up a 2gal planted hex for my desk (at home)... let me start off by saying you guys have been a wealth of info already, and I've seen some spectacular nanos around here...

I'm using the 2g Aquascene Hex from Walmart (the one with the big ugly hood). Right now there's an air powered sponge filter in it, but that may get replaced for something smaller (maybe one of those Azoo miniature HOBs)... there are no plants/fish in the tank yet...

Anyway, my question pertains to the light, and the temperature. That big ugly hood houses a 15w incandescent. I left it on today while i was at work, and came home to find the tank temp at around 84F... the temp in the room is around 71-72F. The bulb is puttin off a lot of heat, obviously...

Would one of the compact flourescent replacements, or the 13w retro fit from AH supply, run cooler? I had planned on switching anyway for the plants, but if it the tank is gonna that hot I'm gonna have to do something else with the hood and lighting. I had planned on keeping a betta, and I've got a 25w submersible to help keep him warm, if necessary...

Anyway, 84F isn't gonna cut it... what can I do so I can leave the light on without the tank being 84 degrees?

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hi Dave, welcome to the planted tank!

You can replace this incandescent bulb with a screw-in flourescent bulb. You should look for a bulb with a K (Kelvin) color temperature of 5000-6500K. For example, very suitable 10W screw-in bulbs are sold in some Walmarts (Pet section, not lighting section).

They run much cooler, and are brighter as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome... thanks...

You think I'll need the heater with the cooler bulb? The room is generally ~70F or so...

dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
That depends on the fish that you want to house in it. If there is none, or fish that like cooler water, like Mountain Minnows, a heater is not required. For a Betta, you should add a little heater.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome... I've got the little 25w waiting...

Thanks for the quick replies...

dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:03 AM

If a screw-in flourescent still heats the water too much, you could drill a bunch of holes in the back of the light fixture to encourage the hot air to escape.

Personally, I would find out what temp the tank runs at with a screw-in flourescent. Then get a heater and set it to that temperature. Heaterless tanks do ok during the day but can get cold at night when the light goes off and most peple turn their room heat down. Not a problem if you choose fish that can take it, of course.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, actually I was headed to find a bulb shortly, so I could do exactly that tomorrow...

I hadn't thought about the temp at night... I guess I'll need the heater after all... the only fish I plan on having is the betta, so it'll need heat at night...

dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Algae Grower

a small desk fan will do wonders if you can point any of the fan's exhaust through a hole in the hood to provide evaporitive cooling.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.
Reef, Planted, vivarium, terriarium, salt.

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, that was my next move...

Looks like the swap to the flour. bulb did the trick though... I ordered a couple extra vent plugs from AH Supply, so i may put em in this thing, for good measure...

Thanks everybody for your help...

dave

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode