How many RCS for a Fluval Spec 2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
How many RCS for a Fluval Spec 2?

Simple question. I'm preparing my Spec 2 for RCS that I eventually want to put in there. The tank has been running for almost 2 months and currently houses 3 guppy fry, several ramshorns snails and is planted with dwarf anubias, flame moss, anacharis and a bit of subwassertang. I'm not buying RCS any time soon, but it would be nice to know how many I could put in this tank. When I do buy my RCS, I'll probably buy 20+, put the recommended amount in my 2 gallon, and put the rest in my 20 gallon tank. The RCS in my nano won't be threatened by anything, so I'm hoping they will be able to breed. However, I'm hopeful that shrimplets will also be able to make it in my heavily planted 20 gallon consisting of neons and guppies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking 20 is probably a good number?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><
Yea, generally the rule of thumb is 10 per gallon. So since the Spec 2 is 2 gallons I'd start with 10, that way you have some room for them to breed for ya a lil.

Also the best way to have a thriving shrimp population in a communtiy tank is to add the shrimp 1st, let them establish themselves and breed a li. Then add the fish. And as always, the more plants the better. Lotsa mosses are also nice for shrimplet survival.

Stephanie - RAOK Club #130

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Yea, generally the rule of thumb is 10 per gallon. So since the Spec 2 is 2 gallons I'd start with 10, that way you have some room for them to breed for ya a lil.

Also the best way to have a thriving shrimp population in a communtiy tank is to add the shrimp 1st, let them establish themselves and breed a li. Then add the fish. And as always, the more plants the better. Lotsa mosses are also nice for shrimplet survival.
Sounds like a plan. When I do buy my RCS, I'll put a dozen or so in the 2 gallon and the rest in my 20.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
That's really interesting. My LFS told me exactly the opposite. They told me to establish all the fish and then add the shrimp. They said that the ammonia spikes of adding new fish can kill shrimp. Hmm....

10 gallon bow-front,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode