oceanic bio cube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
oceanic bio cube?

Hubby brought home an oceanic 8 gallon biocube as a treat. It looks to be a nice little unit, but I'm suprised there's no mention of them here.

Is there some type of drawback to these units, or are they just a new item?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:46 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
I would be interesting in a picture if you have one? Also any idea's on light yet or is it a all-in-one thing?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

It comes with 2 18-watt pc bulbs--a 10k and an actinic, plus 2 moonlights. There are fans in the hood as well.

I'm comparing it to my old eclipse 6 (which I hated).

Pros: There's a small opening for feeding (that doesn't let you drop food on a brace) and the whole top flips up for access. The hinges look pretty good. Plenty of light.

Cons: The lower intake for the filter is really low--I had to keep the substrate really shallow on the rear corner. 4 separate power cords. The plug for the led lights is really tough to push in. I don't think I have it in all the way still as the led lights didn't come on--I'll have to have Gary do it.
Edit: Gary said the plug had corrosion (it's brand new in the box ), but he was able to fix it.

I found a website with a photo. Oceanic BioCube 8 Gallon - 797926820507 I'll get some photos of the insides (lights and filter) and post them later.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
LFS nearby has them as well. Come in 3 sizes 8gal, 14 gal and 29 gal with more and more light on each. Lighting is by Coralife, tanks are built in China by Current for Oceanic.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I saw it at my local shop too! It looks very nice! I am attracted to getting one too, maybe the 8 gallon size. To make it freshwater ready, I think the Actinic light should be changed to 6700K or 10000K.

I thought the tank was made by Oceanic, but I know the lights are made by Coralife.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing at what parts would be of interest.

Photos are:
water level indicator for filter
inside of hood (lights and fans)--yes, I need to change out the actinic bulb
view of hinges and top of filter compartment
too low lower intake for filter

I'm guessing I'm not going to enjoy (probably will swear quite a bit) removing the filter components for cleaning. Wet/dry filtration isn't the best for plants, but this will be an excel tank. Other than that, I think I'm going to really enjoy this little tank. It's got nice, clean lines and easy access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-test-1-186.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	3257  

Name:	sony-test-1-184.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	3258  

Name:	sony-test-1-185.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	3259  

Name:	sony-test-1-188.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3260  

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice pictures! Do you have to use the catridge that comes with the set for mechanical filtration or can you just add in filter floss?

BTW why is wet/dry filter not so good for planted aquarium?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Wet/dry will outgas the CO2. There needs to be a cartridge in the slot. After the tank has broken in, I'll probably try that trick of rubber banding quilt batting to the frame. The sump is split into 3 sections. The first holds the filter cartridge, the second holds bio-balls, and the third contains the pump, with a sponge prefilter, and a tube to return the water near the surface.

I like the proportions--the extra front-to-back room is nice. The sump in the back gives me a little overflow protection when I'm working in it too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 05:41 PM

yup these are brand new for the summer...problem is that the lighting is like cheryl said 10k... not sure why they advertise as being freshwater tanks. Love to get my hands on one of these for the kitchen.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
they are made for nano reefers mainly. i am pretty sure the problem people have been having on tanks like these is cracking of the panes of glass when they try to move it or it gets moved, so be carefull with it.

on the other hand. it looks nice... but is it really worth the money? a 10gtank is $10+lights probly $30 max + filter $15 +substraight $20 + heater $15 .....

all in all i could probably set a whole 10gtank up but that is a nice unit. and if its a gift i wouldnt have any problem using it.

have fun with it!

- fish newb -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode