Planted 5.5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Planted 5.5

Im new here on the forum and this will be my first attempt at a planted Nano.

Last edited by COLEKO; 05-12-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went shoping for a filter and went with the Hagen Aquaclear 20 and a Toms surface skimmer. I bought an extra box of sponge filters so I can stuff three of them inside. I also picked up some drift wood and they are now in a bucket of water to get the tannins out. Looks like the skimmer is a little to big for this size tank..

Last edited by COLEKO; 05-12-2007 at 01:19 AM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

[IMG][/IMG]
Sorry for the lack of updates. But here is a picture of my tank as it is now. Its still a work in progress. Its a 5.5 gallon tank with Flourite and Co2. Theres Anubias Nana, Elodea, Glosso, Java Fern. Java Moss, Marimo, And Willow Moss. For Fauna I have four Amano shrimps, Three Ghost Shrimps, Two Ottos and a mix of snails. The tank has been up and running since 9-9-06.

Last edited by COLEKO; 10-30-2006 at 04:25 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLEKO View Post
[IMG][img=https://www.plantedtank.net/imagehosting/images/tb_upload/493.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry for the lack of updates. But here is a picture of my tank as it is now. Its still a work in progress. Its a 5.5 gallon tank with Flourite and Co2. Theres Anubias Nana, Elodea, Glosso, Java Fern. Java Moss, Marimo, And Willow Moss. For Fauna I have four Amano shrimps, Three Ghost Shrimps, Two Ottos and a mix of snails. The tank has been up and running since 9-9-06.

cant see the pic--update that hehe

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry about that. Did not notice it wasnt working.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[IMG][/IMG]
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
tip here for ya--if your worried about algae ever becoming a problem in your tank, which everyone is..then dont leave your algae scraper in your tank--ever. In your case, a mag float.

In my own horrible experience, mine turned into an algae incubator becuase i left it inside. just a hot tip for ya--anything used to remove algae should never be stored in the place where you dont want algae. food for thought

nice little setup tho--i suggest trying to get as much nice deep and bright greens going as possible to counteract the bright red substrate--it becomes overpowering.

another possibility, if thats flourite? is to take some out and cap with white sand or a more neutral color--it will make your plants stand out better and add to an overall better look--

great start otherwise! ill be looking forward to more updates!

cheers,

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb416 View Post
tip here for ya--if your worried about algae ever becoming a problem in your tank, which everyone is..then dont leave your algae scraper in your tank--ever. In your case, a mag float.

In my own horrible experience, mine turned into an algae incubator becuase i left it inside. just a hot tip for ya--anything used to remove algae should never be stored in the place where you dont want algae. food for thought

nice little setup tho--i suggest trying to get as much nice deep and bright greens going as possible to counteract the bright red substrate--it becomes overpowering.

another possibility, if thats flourite? is to take some out and cap with white sand or a more neutral color--it will make your plants stand out better and add to an overall better look--

great start otherwise! ill be looking forward to more updates!

cheers,

Thanks for the tips . Sofar ive been lucky. Ive never has a major algae break out in this tank yet. Ya The Flourite is really red. Im waiting for my glosso to fill in more in some areas. As for more green, Im still searching for more plants in my area. I might just have to order some online since all this driving around searching is costing me more on gas.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:49 AM
CAF

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keep an eye out on the swap and shop forum here. A lot of really great people often have plants just for the cost of shipping. It will save you on gas and the cost of the plants at a LFS.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[IMG][/IMG]

Above is a closeup of the Tom surface skimmer I cut and modified to fit this tank. It works by adjusting the filter to full flow when I need skimming. I also added magnets to the adjustment knob so that it can be removed to fit under my glass top.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a shot of my tank on my work desk.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Nice looking setup. Very simple and yet nice looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nana

[IMG][/IMG]

Just added an Anubias Nana to the left. I was at my LFS an saw this nice specimen so i bought it. Now im waiting for my other plants to arrive in the mail. More updates when they come in.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I enjoy looking at your setup. I think the green contrasts very well actually with your substrate. There's a reason why landscapers use reddish mulch; it looks good against green. Your marimo/marimbo (never know which one it is) balls especially look good against the substrate. I never understood the appeal of those things. We spend so much energy trying to not have algae in the tank and then there are people who are actually putting it in. The only thing I would suggest is possibly a background to hide some of your hardware.

Keep us posted, look forward to seeing this little tank develop.

llj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it's Baroque, don't fix it...
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Nice i plan on starting a 5.5 gallon nano once i'm done setting up my 55 gallon.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Looks great! It is diffrent seeing a skimmer in a planted tank because generally people dont use them, but I think that you just hit me in the head with an idea to keep shrimplets out of the filter! THANKS!

- Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode