15g Frameless - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
15g Frameless

Hey guys, some of you may have seen my other thread, I have decided to take this tank in a different direction instead of what I wanted to do before in the other thread.

So, well, I have got a 15g Framelss tank custom built out of 3/8" glass.
For lighting I ordered a 3, yes 3x24w NO T5 fixture off of ebay. This fixture is actually from overseas some where in the china/japan area I assume, here's why...

But anyways, I will be running an AC20 (Mini) for mechanical filtration with the surface skimmer attatchment and will heat the tank with a 50w Ebojager heater.

I do plan on running a CO2 system and I would like to have that set up before adding plants so that I can get it all regulated/automated. Any one know how much/often I should disperse the CO2 into the water? Would the AC20 make for a good diffuser?

I had two pieces of Lace Rock shipped in from Utah and I will be using EcoComplete for substrate.

Now, I have a Reverse Osmosis unit with a Deionization chamber that I use for purifying my tapwater to mix with salt so I can change out the water on my reef tank. Should I use that, or should I simply use tapwater and standard water conditioner for FW tanks? Imput on this would be appreciated.

Now, for the lights, the ones that came with the fixture all say that they are 14000K and I realy like the look of them, can i get by with useing them, or should I switch it to 2x10k and one 65k, or could I do one 14k, one 10k, and one 65k?

Ok, pictures of what I got so far...
Light bulbs

Fixture flipped on the legs, I REALLY like this feature

And the FTS....

Comments and Suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Beautiful setup, can't wait to see it full. Those bulbs should be fine, as long as you like the look.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

The look is awsome, a crisp white.

Thanks

Should I use a background? I am thinking that balck would look nice.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I'm a big fan of black myself, but I like white on certain tanks too.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Is this a good choice for my initial CO2 system set up? I can get a 5lb CO2 bottle no porblem. Will there be anything else that I would need to purchase?
Freshwater Planted Aquarium Plant Care: Drs. Foster & Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 System
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-sav View Post
Is this a good choice for my initial CO2 system set up? I can get a 5lb CO2 bottle no porblem. Will there be anything else that I would need to purchase?
Freshwater Planted Aquarium Plant Care: Drs. Foster & Smith Semi-Automatic CO2 System
PM organic sideburns he/she bought the same setup for her 46gal tank. I know he/she did not complain about it organic sideburns setup.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hmm... Pretty sure Organic Sideburns was a he... Anyway, as for using RO, it's not necessary, as you'd just have to reconstitute it. Too much effort imo. I'm relatively certain that the vast majority of the members here just use plain tap water with dechlor. Nice setup, by the way.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I think that I will go with a Milwaukee regulator as it already has a bubble counter on it. For a diffusor, would the AC mini work any good? Or should I buy the class bulb looking tye?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Using hte Mini will get noisy, and possibly lock up the impellar. That said, I've used my canister for hte past 6 months and it works fine....

....however, I would suggest getting a bubble diffuser and breaking down the bubbles before they enter the mini. This will increase the efficiency greatly! GL

Nice lights, BTW!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 02:56 PM

I always love open top,frameless tanks. As for the rocks they look good but perhaps i will need to see another updated picture with substrate and plants before i can really comment. But so far,it has been a great start!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

In Saltwater tanks, there is a film that forms on the top of the water and you have to use a surface skimmer to take care of it. Do FWPTs also have this film on top of the water?
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
ive never seen a white film in salt water tanks, usually because there should be enough water movement to avoid that... but they use skimmers to remove nutrients. whereas in freshwater tanks, we do develop a skin because we don't like water movement at the surface to avoid outgassing CO2. I've seen some people use surface skimmers but I don't think it's necessary. I just disturb it with my fingers and do some water changes and it kinda goes away after a while. But thats just me. Is your tank forming this?

I cant wait to see how this tank turns out... I love frameless tanks!
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Update...I got the AC Surface skimmer and I have finally painted the back of the tank, black. Now that was a task, I have never masked off a framless tank, that was fun lol.

Now, for this tank, I am wanting to go with a school of either Neon, or Black Tetras. How many can I have in this tank? There will be plenty of open room for them to swim. They will be the only fish in the tank, I am trying to keep it simple.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:06 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like it dude. I'd suggest you get yourself lots of smaller rocks of the same type as the larger ones-- you'll want extras to play with.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I am definantly going to go with some mroe rock.

For the Rock Scape, I am thinking of going with a pillar on the left and a flat top/plane on the right. The right side rock scape will be sorter than the left.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode