Why do it easy? Go Nano! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why do it easy? Go Nano!

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've been reading quite a bit lately and getting inspired. I have always had plants in my 20 years of fish keeping but only recently I started to pay proper attention to them.

I just set-up this little tank and hopefully I'll be able to grow plants in it and not too much algae

The tanks is 2lt without substrate. Dimesions are 15cmx12cmx15cm

After my initial rush of landscaping now I am thinking I used far too many species/types of plants.

Because I am due to move in about 6 weeks or so the tank was set-up with what I had at hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice! what kind of plants are in there now? I'm getting ready to set up something similar. Did you build the aquarium yourself?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
That looks pretty good! Any plans on a fish? I may go with a female betta in my 2g later on.

I just had to tear down my 1g due to an algae problem that I just couldn't fix. Going to plant my new 2g next week, probably just moss and Java Fern as it is mainly sunlit.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I am quite pleased with this my first attempt.

One week on:

I had some algae starting to appear so, DIY CO2 was installed last wednesday.

I am so new to this plant thing that I have no idea about the proper names of the plants are. i'll give it a shot though.

Stem plants from left to right:
Mikro plant - apparently an Australian native, will find out its scientific name soon
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia spp.

On the drift wood: Java moss and Anubias barteri var. nana (which I might remove sometime down the track!)

Foreground: Cryptocoryne spp. - Which is likely to grow too tall so will eventually replace with something else.

The tank is a purpose built betta show tank. I got 12 of them

As for live stock; I am going to wait a while for the tank to stabilise and have good plant growth. I am planning to put in Australian ghost shrimp that we seem to have in every creek around here. As for fish I got the below species I might experiment with:

Pseudoepiplatys annulatus

Epiplatys dageti

Poropanchax normanii

Betta channoides

Whichever species I decide on (and I might decide to not to have any fish in at all!) I will use 1 or 3 specimens, to balance the composition.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I love the Pseudoepiplatys annulatus. Attractive fish.

Tank is looking great. Those little airstones work pretty well for DIY CO2 units. I used one on mine (10g) until I bought a Hagen Ladder.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your best bet is to stear away from those types of air stones. They dont break the bubles up into small enough bubles. If the bubbles just shoot to the surface and pop then the gas escapes and you dont get the benifit of it!

I have been using ceramic and wood air'stones' for a while now and they seem to work better. the glass bell types are still the best though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

I really like the annulatus as well, really unusually coloured and marked fish.

Thanks, for the heads up about the airstone! That is one of the ones I had lying around, when I go to buy a new one I'll look into getting other types.

Still though I think I am getting quite a bit of CO2 diffusion happening as a lot of the plants seem to be pearling and I got steady stream of very fine bubbles coming out of the crypts and some of the stem plants. I got buds everywhere on the stem plants (which might be purely due to the light!) so I am pleased with the growth.

Though I agree most of the CO2 would be just reaching the surface and being wasted!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have a pair of E. dageti - I really really like them. Cute and personable. Those would get my vote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode