need help kinda quickly - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Exclamation need help kinda quickly

i have decided to set up a planted fish tank im going tomorrow to get the stuff for it so these are newbie question the tank size will be no more than 5 gallons

what kind of substrate to use
what kind of lighting ( was planing on getting a desk light )
what if any fertilizer should i get
whats co2 about
what kind of filter should i get
do i need a powerhead
do i need a bubbler to add air
and if i need something else for it please let me know

joey :0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Do a search for 5 gallon or look in the nano section, You will find all the answers, then ask specific questions. Take your time to research and think about what you want, if you are going to be serious about this hobby and not regret many pruchases take the time to research and read, read, read this fourm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
take the laptop, grab a beer and start from the beginning of the nano forum, read almost every post. Once done repeat with DIY (do it yourself) and go from there. You have a long night ahead of you if you want this done by tomorrow. lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
STOP

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT! go out and buy anything right away take a month or two and figure out what you want to do! if you dont wait it will be the biggest mistake you ever make in this hobby! i waited 7 months with my 55g and still regret not waiting longer!

so HOLD YOUR HORSES

and use the search function and read read read read read read read read read read.

i would suggest every post in nano, photo album, diy, plant, shrimp, fish, and lots of questions being asked!

- fish newb -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
im not going to buy any fish or plants just yet i have been reading here for about a week now im just getting th basics that i need while im over there i have to travel i dont have a local pet store so i was going to get the tank and any supplies i need while im there then it will be a while before i add plant /fish :0)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe123 View Post
im not going to buy any fish or plants just yet i have been reading here for about a week now im just getting th basics that i need while im over there i have to travel i dont have a local pet store so i was going to get the tank and any supplies i need while im there then it will be a while before i add plant /fish :0)
i would wait a month or two before buying anything. i wish someone stopped me orriginally... its the best advice you can get when starting... when you think your are ready wait another week and continue untill you know you are ready

- fish newb -
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Newb View Post
i would wait a month or two before buying anything. i wish someone stopped me orriginally... its the best advice you can get when starting... when you think your are ready wait another week and continue untill you know you are ready

- fish newb -
JoeJoe, I have to agree with Newb.

This can get to be an expensive hobby when you either
a) buy things you don't need because you mistakenly think you do,
b) have to re-buy the right things because you though they were frivolous.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Hey Joey, welcome to Planted Tank! Always nice to see a new face here! There are lots of good posts out there already, but let me help get you started:

Quote:
what kind of substrate to use
Most bags of plant substrate come in pretty big sized bags. You can buy one of these and use half of it, or maybe find someone who is willing to share. I have a big half-full bag of Soilmaster Select Pro "Charcoal" and also about a third of a kitty litter container full of ecoComplete. These are both dark substrates. Soilmaster is courser and lighter weight. EcoComplete is almost as fine as sand and a bit heavier. I'd be happy to ship you a good bag of it for the cost of shipping - just PM me your address. You shouldn't need too much for a nano.

Another thing to consider is that if you go with low light plants like java fern, java moss, anubias and bolbitus, you just need a piece of driftwood to tie them to. Then you can use just plain gravel with no problems.

Quote:
what kind of lighting ( was planing on getting a desk light )
I've used a desk lamp with a "natural spectrum" screw in PC flourescent bulb before, and I've had pretty good luck for it. I'm sure this would work just fine for you!

Quote:
what if any fertilizer should i get
Nanos can be tricky. Read up on this. The easiest route will be to go with prepackaged stuff like seachem and then if you move on to bigger and better tanks try dosing dry ferts from Greg Watson.

Quote:
whats co2 about
Now THIS is a can of worms! Basically, a plant is made of carbon, so it needs a source of carbon to grow. Dissolving CO2 in the water is a fertilizer for the plants and does wonders to stimulate healthy growth. People use compressed tanks of CO2 or make their own with a pop or juice bottle, sugar, and yeast. The DIY method is pretty easy, and it is what I'd recommend for your nano. Alternatively, Seachem Flourish Excel provides an organic source of carbon and would work really well in your setup.

Quote:
what kind of filter should i get
Lots of debate on this. You'll want something that doesn't splash too much though. I'll weigh in and recommend a sponge attached to the intake of a powerhead as your filtration. I believe Wasserpest has a good DIY article about this.

Quote:
do i need a powerhead
I'd say use a powerhead as your filtration. So, yes.

Quote:
do i need a bubbler to add air
Nope, your plants will produce plenty of oxygen. If you bubble in air then you'll outgas a lot of the CO2 in the water. Best to just leave this off.

Quote:
and if i need something else for it please let me know
Well, have you thought about what fish or kritters you'll want in there? Do you know what types of plants you'll want? Do you have driftwood or rock pieces for decoration? Do you have a location picked out?

LOTS of other stuff to consider, but it isn't as hard as it sounds. You definately came to the right place! Glad to have ya here

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i would personally suggest a 10g tank.. since they are cheap and good to play around with at first. along with a aquaclear hob filter... a powerhead with prefilter might work too i havent tried that combo out before though so cant give you advise on this.

for kritters try some ghost shrimps they are cheap and interesting... and maybe will breed in your tank! which is always exciting!

good luck and sorry for being a bit harsh earlier... its just important that you wait. because we all start to early it seems we always say "if only i had known.... if only i had waited a little longer..." that type of thing thats why i wanted to try and get you to research for a month or two before anything.

ive been looking into getting some poison dart frogs for years... probably around 3-4 and i still havent got any. maybe eventually i willbe ready but time will tell. fish tanks arent exactly the same but the same thing applies. generally. use lots of patience.

- fish newb -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode