New to Nano, 10gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
New to Nano, 10gal

Hello,
I'm new to this forum.
After having turtles in a 55 gallon for a while I recently changed it over to a planted fish tank. Later I saw a 10 gallon calling my name (they are so cheap )

Just starting out with the 10 gallon:

The wood is from a local lake, when I cut the base flat it all came apart. So it is siliconed back into place attached to a flat rock. Gravel is Eco Complete with peat moss under it. Filter is a Aqua Clear 20 with the carbon pack removed, replaced with another media pack. Heater is a Visi-Therm Stealth 50W. The hood is homemade with two 15W and two 25W daylight bulbs:

The reflector is pieces of mirror, but Just yesterday I ordered a 1x36W kit from A H supply.

It has only been set up for about a few days, just a couple guppies and snails. I plan for a few oto's, pair of albino cories, some Cherry shrimp, and some small group (school) of something else.

Besides the plants in there now I have Glosso and Riccia coming for the foreground. Any ideas for background pants??? I would like to get it filled before adding the fish. And I would like most of the back wall filled with plants, except for the filter intake area.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You will love the 36w kit over a 10g. I certainly do with mine. I think you'll like the Aqua Clear 20 as well. It's nice being able to put 3 different types of media in there and also control the flow. I have one on one of my 10 too.

Only thing I don't like, it grows algae faster than my plants! Within a few days two sides of my tank are nearly completely green. Just transferred a few Otos to help.

Let us know how you like the kit. Be sure to get before/after pics to let others see the difference (I'll post mine tomorrow).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Maybe Rotala sp. "Green" for the background? Stick with small leaved plants, they are your buddy.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm happy with the light my home made rig puts out, but it does get pretty hot. So much that the water temp goes past the top. I think they get hot because the starter/ballast is built in. So I'll see how the AH kit does.

Also my hood goes down over the tank by about 1/2", so to feed the fish I need the remove the whole hood. (not fun) Next hood will be better.

Another lighting question. Do you guys put anything between the water and bulb? I was thinking anything clear would get gunked up and need cleaned a lot.

Rolata look good, I will have to search for some "green"

Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
if i where you i would look into cobomba for plants always grew awsome in my 10g with the normal one flourencent strip light.

the wood looks awsome. its just calling for a little bit of moss here and there!

as for something on top... i was thinking about getting glass for my 55g and 10g just to reduce evaporation. just remember to cut out enough room for the water return on your filter -.-

i have a 10g and its one of my favorite tanks ever! its awsome! demensions own

- fish newb -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cobomba was a plant I was watching over at E-bay.

I wanted the moss on the wood, it was on a couple rocks with a net. I just tied some to the wood with black thread (I hope it stays). I'll take pics when the water clears.

I'm still a plant newbie.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still more (a lot) plants to add, but here I put some moss on the wood and spread out the grass a bit:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also now the lighting is with a 1x36 AH kit. I gutted a old hood I had and mounted it in there, made some short legs out of Plexiglas to hold it out of the water.

As for light I can't really tell a difference. Before I had 80 watts, but it was very hot. Now the light output looks the same and it is cool to the touch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
looks good! i would incourage you to look in the pond where the soil came from and see if there are a lot of plants there and if so take a small bit and see how they do!

- fish newb -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode