Help finding the right stem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Help finding the right stem

I'm reworking a 2.5g tank. It's rimless and open top. 2x13w Azoo Galaxy lights. A 40gph powerhead is in the upper left corner and a nano glass diffuser is in the lower right. Aquasoil Amazonia. It has 2 large (for a tank this size) Ohko stones arranged slightly off center. The background is Ludiwigia Guinea. The foreground will be HC. I will probably use dwarf riccia to buffer the HC into the background on the sides. I will also plant HC in some of the holes in the Ohko stones.

Sorry I don't have a picture yet but it's way too early.

Anyway, here's my problem. The Guinea is coming in very red. Yes, that's my "problem"

I need another stem to intermingle into the Guinea to keep the tank from being a bright green/deep red clash. The stem needs to be small, the same size as the Guinea and it needs to have a similar leaf shape to look right against the Ohko stone.

I'm thinking Ludwigia ovalis http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...&spec=Ludwigia
but I've never seen the plant in person. If it's the same size as Guinea then I think the yellow/orange hue will work nicely between the red and the green HC and I thin it will also go a long way towards matching the Ohko stone.

Anyone have any experience with Guinea AND Ovalis? Are they the same size?

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could try rotala macrandra.If i am right there is one variant that has green leaves which will turn pinkish if given the right conditions.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Ludwigia ovalis is much larger than 'Guinea' and is not very suitable for a nano tank. Can I ask why you think red and green clash? They are considered to be contrasting colors yes, but they certainly don't clash IMHO.

Anyhow, you might use regular old Rotala rotundifolia. Rotala macrandra 'green' is also a good suggestion from YUoHo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perhaps "clash" isn't the best term. What I meant to say is that I wanted a slightly different color mingled in with the guinea background to make the scape more interesting.

I'll look into the plants you guys mentioned.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
Im gonna be rescaping my 60 gallon and i have some either rotala sp. 'green' or 'rotundifolia' that are anywhere from 3-12"...

Hit me up if you want some...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
Perhaps "clash" isn't the best term. What I meant to say is that I wanted a slightly different color mingled in with the guinea background to make the scape more interesting.

I'll look into the plants you guys mentioned.
Do you mean you want to create a more subtle color gradient, from red to orange to green? This is what i'm doing with baby's tears and guinea. I split the difference with ludwigia arcuata, though I think I may have gotten two different species mixed in.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, that's what I'm hoping to accomplish.

I'm considering whether or not I want those rotalas. I think I need to spend another day staring at the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode