New 6.6 gal tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 6.6 gal tank

So I've decided to set up a 6.6 gal cube tank. I'm totally new at this planted tank hobby, I've had freshwater before and I currently have an 80 gal. saltwater reef.

Here are the things I'm starting with:
1. 6.6 gal cube tank
2. Hood with PC 1x27W 10,000K and 1x27W Actinic
3. Substrate: Azoo plant grower bed
4. Ceramic noodles and activated carbon in the second chamber of the cube
5. 50W heater
6. Return pump 400 l/hr in the third chamber

I'm planning on getting the Hagen CO2 ladder to install it on the first chamber.I would like to know if the stuff that I got is good to start or do I have to get something else?

I have a RO/DI filter but I've been reading that this is not necesary. So is it better to add tap water instead, and add stress coat and stress zime or Tetra aqua safe. Which plants do you recommend me to start with. I currently have a 5 gallon bowl with 5 tetra neon and 1 betta that I will traspass to the new planted tank as soon as you tell me.

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Actinic ain't doing any good.

Also, 54 watts over a 6 gallon is going to be a hell of a time. Even with pressurized CO2, you are basically only going to be growing algae.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so i'll let only the 1x27W 10000K on and another thing is how long do I have to let it on?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Planted Member

Hi gferreira, nice to see another Mexican member on this site !! Where do you live ?

I recently set up my second nano, it's a 10 gal, I put 3 15 watts 6,500 K screw in CF lamps over it and DIY Co2.Some algae issues yet, nothing to be scared, LOL.

I think your tank is over-lighted, 6,500 K bulbs are enough for plants (actinic is for reef tanks), with 10,000 you are flirting hard with algae issues, not to mention pressurized co2 is too much for a 6 gal also.So I second MrBelvedere's thoughts.If you still using that co2 method you will have to regulate it very well and pay close attention to Ph levels as well, specially because you will use RO/DI water.

For the photo period, if you let the 10,000 27 W bulb, you can begin with 8 hours per day and see what happens.

Carbon will do any good in the tanks either, it can adsorb some Azoo's substrate nutrients.I've read carbon is a big no no for planted tanks.

As for the initial planting, it's matter of tastes, in my 10 gal I began with Hetheranthera Zosterifolia (stargrass), Althernanthera Reineckii Rosaefolia, Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba", Higrophylla Polysperma "Rosanervig", Hydrocotyla Verticillata and Cryptocorine balansae brown. Later I added some Ceratophyllum demersum and Limnophilla Sessiliflora (Ambulia) to fight the algae, and a friend of mine gave me some Ludwigia Arcuata.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for the long post

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I just wonder where did you get this plants in Mexico. Iknow a lot of a acuariums here, but if you could post a picture of the plants you've mentioned it would be easier to go get them. I'll try to get the 6500K bulb too.

Best regards,
Gilberto Ferreira
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Today I planted some hygrophila, cabomba caroliniana, bacopa monnieri and another plant I don't know the name. I hope i planted them right because it is the first time for me. We'll se how it goes. I've added the CO2 ladder from nutrafin and stayed with the 27W 10000K PC.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get a camera. I have 5 tetra neon and a betta. Could I get some more fish or is it too much, and if get some, which ones should I get.

Best Regards
Gilberto Ferreira
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Here are the pics I've taken from my nano now that I've set it up.

General

Whole room

From the top

Right side

Filtration chambers

So far no trouble, but I want to know if should add flourish these days or let it settle.

Best regards
Gilberto Ferreira
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

doent look right

I like that tank kit

You may find that those plants grow rapidly and tall, too tall for that nano. Your c02/light/ferts schedule will impact this a bit though. You need something in the foregroud like moss or grass. Your wood is dead center, try off centering it for more eye appeal.

I thought you were going with betta & neons.. that neon looks like an angel to me... ehhhh angel in a 6 gal tank with a betta... from your picture it already looks like your betta is nipping its fins. If the betta doesnt kill it the size of the tank will. Angels are for like 55+ tanks.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

20g Tall Low Tech Planted
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

Hi Gil, nice setup, I agree with alohamonte betta & angelfish are not a good mix, maybe a nice little school of rasboras or cherry barbs would fit better in your nano. I can`t show pics of plants, my camera is broken, grrr.But you can take a look at www.plantgeeek.net there are very nice pics.

Hey alohamonte, your sig reminds me of The Reverend Horton Heat`s album

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode