2.5g moss & cherry shrimp tank (w/pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
2.5g moss & cherry shrimp tank (w/pics)

Hi all,
Iím new to the site, and Iíve been re-introduced to the hobby after a bit of a break. I've kept Central and South American Cichlids for many years with periodic tries at fully planted tanks. I've never had much success - probably because I always focused on the fish instead of the plants.

Recently, I decided to dedicate myself to learning the craft of keeping beautiful aquatic plants, and a 2.5 gallon AGA desktop tank seemed a fine place to start.

I used the standard 2.5g AGA nano setup: Coralife mini 18w pc freshwater light, Azoo palm filter and glass top. Substrate is ADA aquasoil finely planted with glosso, and dwarf hair grass. I tied a mass of christmas moss to a rock and some driftwood and it seems to be growing quite well. The cambomba at the back right of the tank will be replaced with baby tears before much longer. Fauna consists of 3 cherry shrimps.

full frontal:

A few questions: I'm currently dosing the specified quantity of Flourish Excel - considering my light source will this be adequate for the glosso to carpet or should I start DIY CO2? Also, Iím only dosing traces, I plan to go with Greg Watson dry ferts, but Iím afraid it might hurt the shrimp. Any insight to that issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Looking good.

Really good. I love the moss. Will the hairgrass be planted in a group? It looks kind of out of place....

The GW ferts won't harm the shrimp when dosed correctly.

And CO2 never hurts.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 07:12 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
wow verry verry nice. you made it look like it was twice the size. I would have to say you are a natural.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
nice moss!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks great keep up the good work
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
Will the hairgrass be planted in a group? It looks kind of out of place....
Do you think it would look more natural if I planted the hairgrass in a single clump instead of spread around? I was thinking about replaceing the moss covered rock on the left of the tank with another small piece of driftwood. I could relocate the hairgrass at that time.

Thanks for the comments everyone - and I'm very open to constructive criticisim. It's how i learn best.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL-311
Do you think it would look more natural if I planted the hairgrass in a single clump instead of spread around? I was thinking about replaceing the moss covered rock on the left of the tank with another small piece of driftwood. I could relocate the hairgrass at that time.

Thanks for the comments everyone - and I'm very open to constructive criticisim. It's how i learn best.

I think so. Try planting the hairgrass in a group. I think you'll like the look of it. Maybe in that back left corner?

I'm not sure how the tank would look without the rock and with more driftwood. Maybe more pictures from different angles? Thanks for accepting criticism well, some people don't take it as nicely as you do.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i like the rock there and how it looks but thats just me...

also on the hair grass if you trim the tops of it it will send out more runners and grow thicker

good luck it looks great!

- fish newb -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode