My 4 gal humble beginings (With Images) - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
My 4 gal humble beginings (With Images)

Finally got everything together -

The substrate


Couple of pieces of driftwood


The drugs :-)


Anubia and Ferns tied to driftwood


Filled with water - initial cloudiness (Front view)


Side View - Cloudy still


How it looks 24 hrs later

and



Look forward to your kind suggestions - I understand that I can't have that "vacant lot" look on the right side...I was hoping to grow some Baby Tears - will 3.25 wpg be sufficient for Baby Tears (since I'm told that wpg rule breaks down at 10 gals)?

I am still an ignoramus when it comes to dosing (I had hoped that label would help me but apparently not [for me]) - can someone please help me with how much of Flourish Excel I need to put in each day(?) or every other day and the same for Flourish?

Thanks again for all your help and suggestion.

Kind regards,
jbrown is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
John P.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 1,321
You have an organic CO2 source with the Excel, and micro nutrients with the Flourish. You still need to have Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium (macros) for the plants to grow well.

John P.
John P. is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
You have an organic CO2 source with the Excel, and micro nutrients with the Flourish. You still need to have Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium (macros) for the plants to grow well.
Hello John P., Thanks for your comments. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am told that the macros will be taken care of (broadly speaking) with the fish food and waste etc. and the bi-weekly water changes of 50%...is that not correct? btw, I have some NPK dry ferts that I inherited. My big problem is that I have no clue how to dose...esp. in this little system (4 gals).

Thanks again,
jbrown is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
John P.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 1,321
Not likely that you'll be feeding fish that are large/hungry/messy enough to produce that much nitrate, and you wouldn't want to feed excess, anyway.

Hop over to aquaticplantcentral.com and navigate to the Fertilator program. It'll help you calculate the right amount of dry chemicals to use.

Some people have good luck using the AquaSoil without ferts for a while, but you'll likely need to at some point.

John P.
John P. is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 157
i like your tank, looks clean. the topless design is nice and the overall composition of the aquascape is a good start.
agdavis is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Not likely that you'll be feeding fish that are large/hungry/messy enough to produce that much nitrate, and you wouldn't want to feed excess, anyway.

Hop over to aquaticplantcentral.com and navigate to the Fertilator program. It'll help you calculate the right amount of dry chemicals to use.

Some people have good luck using the AquaSoil without ferts for a while, but you'll likely need to at some point.
Thanks John, I see your point. I registered @ APC....so where is this Fertilator at? Thanks,
jbrown is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdavis
i like your tank, looks clean. the topless design is nice and the overall composition of the aquascape is a good start.
Thanks for your comments...I am glad you like it for what it is...a start. Look forward to your suggestions for improvement
jbrown is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
John P.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown
Thanks John, I see your point. I registered @ APC....so where is this Fertilator at? Thanks,
Here you go:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

John P.
John P. is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
JenThePlantGeek's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,143
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Looks awesome!

One thing that I've found helpful when dosing dry ferts in a small tank is to make a liquid solution and then dose that with eye droppers. If you dig through this thread you'll be able to figure it out I bet:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ere-first.html

I still think you shouldn't worry too much about dosing macros until you get your fish in there and get them fed. If you see a deficiency in your plants then by all means you should dose, but I bet you'll have sufficient macros from the nitrate provided by fish, the phosphate provided by food, and the potassium naturally occuring in tapwater.

To help you dose the Flourish Excel, it is good to know that there are 15-20 drops in a mL. I THINK, check if I'm wrong, but I think that Excel dosing comes out to about 2 drops/gallon following the label recommended dosage.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Thanks I did check it out. btw, does it not work with Firefox? I tried putting in the values for the tank volume and the chemicals that I would be using, hoping to get the quantities to be used. But it just gives me null values. Anyway, I will play with it some more.... :-)
jbrown is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek
Looks awesome!
Coming from you, I will take it as a compliment. Thanks very much Jen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek
One thing that I've found helpful when dosing dry ferts in a small tank is to make a liquid solution and then dose that with eye droppers. If you dig through this thread you'll be able to figure it out I bet:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ere-first.html
I will read through this asap. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek
I still think you shouldn't worry too much about dosing macros until you get your fish in there and get them fed. If you see a deficiency in your plants then by all means you should dose, but I bet you'll have sufficient macros from the nitrate provided by fish, the phosphate provided by food, and the potassium naturally occuring in tapwater.
OK... I got you....sounds good. I am eyeing some Harlequin Rasboras - hope they will fit the bill?
jbrown is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 869
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I have the same tank with rasbora maculatas and they're a great little fish. Much smaller then harlequins, and get a lovely reddish orange. If you can find them, I would definitally consider them.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooky125 is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125
I have the same tank with rasbora maculatas and they're a great little fish. Much smaller then harlequins, and get a lovely reddish orange. If you can find them, I would definitally consider them.
Thanks, I just checked this link and am very interested, but our lfs_s don't seem to stock it at this time...will keep looking though.
jbrown is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 869
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ids&1155093219 -There's some for sale on aquabid...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooky125 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Brilliant's Avatar
 
PTrader: (20/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: On a Vista
Posts: 879
The fertilator is awesome!
I just happen to have two Nitrate sources it works with.

I used to think my fishload would add enough macros to dose the tank...I was half right. I need to dose nitrates...I was scared to dose nitrates....all my time in the fishkeeping hobby I do everything to prevent nitrates then I am dumping it into the tank...eh....anyways I wouldnt ever have to dose phosphates due to my high fishload & frequent feedings but nitrate isnt enough. I am sure this is different with every different situation but I just wanted to add that.

I think your tank looks pretty good to start off
I really love these posts, keep taking pics and sharing!

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brilliant is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome