Go 10g or 15g??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Go 10g or 15g???

I just picked up a 2x13w Deluxe kit form AH supply… and now wonder if it can do more than the WPG rule of thumb tells us? The intent is to provide the kids a chance to have a shrimp only tank in their room. This way with my assistance we can explore what suites the little buggers in a species tank and not my 55 community.

After deciding on the lights I went back to Rex's guide. He makes a good point about the 10g being tough to balance. The intent was to convert my 10g and move it from the kitchen. Then wondering if it would be best to keep the 10g as my snail factory (low tech) and get a 15g.

Other than the extra 5g to help keep things in balance the dimensions are much better. 24x12x12 would be a nice unit...

Would the 2x13w kit be enough for a 15g or am I hobbling myself again for high demand plants? I'd like to try some of the high light stems plants that don't do well in my 55g in this tank. This may not be a good mix of goals for a tank but it’s about my only option right now to get a real High Light tank going.

Considering two zoomed 501 filters and DYI co2 till I get my act together and get another regulator setup…Still looking for options here, after looking at $100 for two zoomed 501 at Petsmart they may not happen. I am not considering a reactor though; really want a diffuser on this tank.

Let me know your thoughts…Thanks.

Sean

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
You could get a nice little Eheim Classic for around $60 and it would be perfect for a 10 - 20gal tank.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Unfortunately 26 watts isn't going to get you very far on either of those tanks. Small tanks require more light per gallon to hit each of the lighting levels than the larger tanks do. For High light plants in a 10 Gallon you would need closer to 40+ watts. With 26 watts would be looking at closer to medium light. On the 15 Gallon it's probably only going to give you Medium Low light. For that tank you would be looking at closer to 60+ watts to be able to grow the high light plants.

For reference I'm using this site for my estimates. There's a calculator about half way down the page. So far it's been pretty accurate for the amount of light needed on my nanos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
You could get a nice little Eheim Classic for around $60 and it would be perfect for a 10 - 20gal tank.
I like the Eheim I have but will have to look at the classics startup procedure... I really like the ease of startup on the ZM501. Having two would allow me to alternate filter cleanings. With a tank this small I don't want to whack out the bacteria every time I clean things up.

Thanks for the refferance this was my next filter line to look at.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
Unfortunately 26 watts isn't going to get you very far on either of those tanks. Small tanks require more light per gallon to hit each of the lighting levels than the larger tanks do. For High light plants in a 10 Gallon you would need closer to 40+ watts. With 26 watts would be looking at closer to medium light. On the 15 Gallon it's probably only going to give you Medium Low light. For that tank you would be looking at closer to 60+ watts to be able to grow the high light plants.

For reference I'm using this site for my estimates. There's a calculator about half way down the page. So far it's been pretty accurate for the amount of light needed on my nanos.
So with this information it looks like the 2x13w kit wil be an upgrade for the snail farm but not meet the high light demands for a 15g. Ok NP.

So next look is at either 2x36w PC vs 4x24w T5 for a 15g 24" tank.

I love my T5 but the retrofit kits are pricy.

The 2x36 kit may be more managable. well see.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzr750r1
With a tank this small I don't want to whack out the bacteria every time I clean things up.
You wouldnt. You can back-flush the Classic Eheims with tank water, removing the larger debris, and go months without a indepth "cleaning" on a tank that size. Also, if you take a bucket of tank water and just rinse the media and change the pads you wont lose any (much) bacteria and you are good to go.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
i say go with a 10g. smaller the better
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
I assume you are looking at a 15 tall, which has the same footprint as a 10g but is just taller. try and find a 15 long, you have the same height as a 10, but more square footage to plant. i use one for a shrimp only tank and with ADA AS and 36w pc, I can get most of the mosses, HC, Downoi, and even eroicoulon (sp?) to grow well. i saw that you wanted to try high light stem plants, but in a tank as small as a 10 or 15 they will outgrow it in no time. I would stick to the shrimp only tank with some nice plants versus a high light stem planted tank, just my opinion of course. good luck. what type of shrimp by the way? I have CRS, and mine seem to freak everytime i try to add ferts, so for now its just co2, whatever is in the AS and shrimp/snail poop for the plants. growth is slow but everything is nice and green.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavoc
I assume you are looking at a 15 tall, which has the same footprint as a 10g but is just taller. try and find a 15 long, you have the same height as a 10, but more square footage to plant. i use one for a shrimp only tank and with ADA AS and 36w pc, I can get most of the mosses, HC, Downoi, and even eroicoulon (sp?) to grow well. i saw that you wanted to try high light stem plants, but in a tank as small as a 10 or 15 they will outgrow it in no time. I would stick to the shrimp only tank with some nice plants versus a high light stem planted tank, just my opinion of course. good luck. what type of shrimp by the way? I have CRS, and mine seem to freak everytime i try to add ferts, so for now its just co2, whatever is in the AS and shrimp/snail poop for the plants. growth is slow but everything is nice and green.
I'm considering the 15 long. Your confirming my delema, mixing goals with this would be a bad idea. First and formost this needs to be a shrimp tank. If your growing HC and moss with 36w then I will likely go this route. Since I'd like to stay with T5 I'll probably go with the 2x24w retro fit kit. The guys want to try Cherry Reds. I do have a AS and look forward to using it.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
You wouldnt. You can back-flush the Classic Eheims with tank water, removing the larger debris, and go months without a indepth "cleaning" on a tank that size. Also, if you take a bucket of tank water and just rinse the media and change the pads you wont lose any (much) bacteria and you are good to go.
I've heard of back flushing but have never done this myself. I'll give it a try on my 2026 somtime.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have a 15 gallon, 24" long shrimp-only tank on my desk at work. My lighting consists of a 65 watt PC retrofitted into a strip that originally held two 15 watt NOF. I had to cut a small square out of the end of the strip to get the wires for the lights to fit, and it doesn't look too bad. I'm using a Fluval internal filter (#2, I think...) with DIY CO2 fed into it. I had to chop up the filter some to get the CO2 line into the intake, but it works GREAT. I would completely recommend this size tank, especially if you get the high light going on it. My shrimp are doing great, haven't had any problems except when I slack off on my water changes and dosing.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the word Jen. I'm going to go with this size tank after we get the boy's room set up with a new dresser. I'm going to build a canopy with 2x24w T5 so not to go too big on the WPG... 3.2 WPG would likely give me plenty to get results from any moss and a patch of stems. So for now I have to wait for the furniture to be selected before I move on this plan. With the baby running around the house we have to be cautious about the placement since she is now getting out of her crib.

So now it's time to anchor all the furniture in her room before the little monkey toppels somthing on top of her.

I've been lucky with the 55 since it's an open steel frame with no covers. It's far too heavy for her to topple and after two years of training even she waves her finger at the equipment and repeats "no, no, no".

I'll keep yall posted once we get started. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode