comments on 3g eclipse setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
comments on 3g eclipse setup

OK so I have my 3g eclipse completed (hopefully). I am using the original hood and filter, along with a 20w compact flourescant (screw-in w/self-ballast, just upgraded from 10w). no C02 added for now, but adding flourish-excel, flourish, and leaf-zone. plants are some glossostigma directly under the light, rotala indica, rotala magenta, green cabomba, and java ferns (ferns and cabomba have been in tank about 2 months, just added the others). substrate is small-sized black gravel with flora root mixed in

temperature with 20w gets about 85-90 during day - ugh - with hood flap slightly open but not too concerned as this will be moved to colder-AC office very soon (my apt is 80-85 during day). I probably wont need a heater but will determine once I move the tank. I am running filter with bio-wheel still, no filter pad, but with some foam over the filter intake to keep debris out.

I have 3 snails in now (2 small red ramshorn, one unidentified "spiral/cone"). I will be adding a few more, plus a couple ghost shrimp, and maybe but still undecided on a couple dwarf crayfish (concerned they may dig everything up) or else a dwarf puffer.

all seems fine (tho only 5days since adding additional plants). however I am undecided whether to keep the 20w or put back on the 10w that I previously had on there. not sure if keeping the 20w will be overkill (10w seems too little and 20w too much??) and whether it will require additional CO2 with the 20w than the excel? and for filter would the foam over the intake be sufficient or should I maybe add the standard-eclipse filter pad, or maybe some other filter material in a small bag placed in the filter compartment? (I'm only concerned with filter if I add puffer or crayfish)

yeah a few questions but any/all suggestions appreciated

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
if withuot CO2, i think 10W is enough.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
The spiral/cone snail sounds like a MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail).

Perhaps you could go for a happy medium with the light and add a 15 watt bulb instead. It's more likely that the Flourish Excel will be enough with this amount of light. At 20 watts I think you almost need to add DIY CO2 in order to keep things balanced.

Not sure why you're adding both Flourish and LeafZone. They're both Trace/Micro mixes. I'd stick to the Flourish and ditch the LeafZone, since most agree that the Flourish products are much better quality. Are you planning to pick up any Macro nutrients? I would think that you would want Potassium at a minimum regardless, and probably Nitrate and Phosphate if you don't end up adding the fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well I have the leaf zone already for my 29g planted and bought the flourish and excel for the 3g. As I understand it the Leaf Zone adds Iron and potassium, the excel adds the carbon, and the flourish adds other elements. I dont beleive the flourish adds potassium or significant iron.

also I believe the "screw-in self-ballasted" CF bulbs only come in 20w and 10w.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

My mistake on the Leaf Zone. I'd always seen it bunched in with the Trace Ferts and never looked at the ingredients. Flourish comprehensive should have plenty of Iron, but a little extra from the Leaf Zone along with it's Potassium should work well.

The CF bulbs come in many other sizes. I believe that Walmart is a common place to find them.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
My mistake on the Leaf Zone. I'd always seen it bunched in with the Trace Ferts and never looked at the ingredients. Flourish comprehensive should have plenty of Iron, but a little extra from the Leaf Zone along with it's Potassium should work well.

The CF bulbs come in many other sizes. I believe that Walmart is a common place to find them.
yeah leaf-zone was an early purchase of mine and still have plenty left. if and when it runs out I will get a kent or seachem equivalent.

AH good 'ol walmart. never thought to look for the CF bulbs anywhere else but a fish store (duh). walmart will have them self-ballasted, screw-in, 6500K?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

Varies by Walmart as to exactly what they have. Some have the daylight bulbs that would be the appropriate spectrum while others might not. I believe that there is a specific brand you want to look for, but I can't remember it off of the top of my head.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail) -- yeah, probably. havent seen it since I first saw it, it came in with one of the new plants.

went to walmart, picked up a 2-pack of 15w 6500 CF "twist" bulbs, and paid 1/2 what I paid for the one 20w at the LFS. however, the base/ballast is a bit larger and doesnt fit my hood - where I have the socket, the ballast sits right on top of the middle brace of the eclipse and raises the top up a bit. now I gotta figure if I want to re-position the socket (both the 20w and 10w fit so fine)... UGH it never ends

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode