Total Plant Newbie looking for nano tank ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Total Plant Newbie looking for nano tank ideas

Hello everybody!

I'm a completely clueless plant newbie. I admit that I have always copped out and gone with silk plants in the past, except for a small, decorative piece of bamboo that I've managed to keep alive and happy somehow.

Now, I have two small fish tanks, each containing one betta. I do water changes twice a week on these two, since they're such small tanks. I'd like to spruce up the surroundings a bit and get them some live plants, but I have no idea where to start! So I was hoping for a bit of advice.

The female's tank is really small until I can afford a larger one, so I don't know if any plants would be a good idea for hers. Still, here are the stats on it:
1 US Gallon
glass bead substrate
two silk plants
1 female betta

The male's is larger, so I think a plant is more plausible for him.
2.5 US Gallons
glass bead substrate
ceramic cave
ceramic tomato-shaped hiding place
1 male betta

I would really appreciate any tips anybody might have for me. Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Unless you stick to plants like Anubias and Java Fern which can be tied to driftwood and rocks, you'll want to change your substrate out for something smaller grained. Those glass beads will be nearly impossible to keep anything rooted in it.

You'll also need to consider what kind of lighting your going to put over the tanks. This will determine the kinds of plants you can keep and how much maintenance is necessary. Lighting is a bit harder to figure out on smaller tanks since they require more light than larger tanks and there aren't a lot of fixtures out there specifically for what we're trying to achieve. Desk Lamps and DIY fixtures are some common solutions.

There's a lot you could do with both of those tanks, you'll just need to get a little creative and find plants that are appropriately sized. I've seen some pretty impressive things done with even smaller containers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
www.rexgrigg.com

Read it, preferably more than once.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information--and I forgot to mention the lighting. Both tanks have low-watt bulbs in the hoods, so something that can deal with low light is probably the best.

Also thank you for the link. It has a lot of good info.

I had actually looked into both anubias and java fern already, but I'm also looking into getting a more suitable substrate. So thank you again for the replies!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I have a new project now, since the betta tanks seem to be a bit of a problem. Again, I'd love any help that can be offered on it, and I'm looking up other threads with useful information too.

The tank is one gallon, contains no fish, and I'm willing to get any kind of substrate for it. This one is very open-ended, I think. I just want to create a nice tank for plants only, and to sort of start out in the planted tank world.

I'm sorry I'm such a newbie... I hate to be that way, I know it's annoying and I'm very sorry. I just don't understand much at all about planted tanks right now, but I'm trying my very best to learn.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
We were all newbies once - you came to the right place to figure out how to do it. Cool name btw

I really don't want to be discouraging, but honestly the small tanks can be more of a challenge than the larger ones. Standard fertilizer dosing, substrates, light hoods, etc. are all made for 10 gallons or larger. Not saying you can't make it work with a small tank, but I just hope you're up for the challenge!

For a 1 gallon tank, substrate MIGHT be a bit interesting. You don't really want to buy a 50 lb bag (or even a 20 lb bag) of substrate for such a tiny setup. You only really need about 2 lbs, about an inch or 1.5 inches deep on the bottom. To ship from Indiana to TN/KY would be ~$5-$7 for about that much, do you want me to hook you up with some substrate? I have ecoComplete (finer, heavier weight, dark) and Soilmaster Pro Select Charcoal (courser, lighter weight, dark). I'd be MORE than happy to send some your way for the cost of shipping.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does this tank have the same lights as your betta setup, or are you able to upgrade it? A desk lamp with a screw-in full spectrum flourescent bulb (as high a wattage as the fixture can handle) would work well.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I have plenty of desk lamps that I can get a flourescent bulb for to use with this particular tank, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I really only chose this one-gallon because I had it leftover from my earlier days of keeping bettas, and I wanted something to do with it. I hate that it's just collecting dust in the closet right now.

As for the substrate, thank you so much for the offer! I totally appreciate that, and would love to take you up on it. Do you mind if I wait on that for about a week? I need to buy textbooks (ah, being a college student) and I just don't want to empty out my checking account!

Do you have any suggestions on plants for this tank, by chance?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are LOTS of plants that will work well for this tank. Anubias nana 'petite', Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC), java fern, java moss, christmas moss, Crypticorne parva, Crypticorne wendtii, Saggittaria subulata, Hydrocotyle sibithorpiodes, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Dwarf hairgrass, Marsilea sp.... a bunch of others!

I have quite a few of those, and you won't need much. I'll throw in some starts for you when I sent the substrate. PM me your shipping address. Which substrate did you want again? I have plenty of both!

I <3 Eheim #195

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode