Preparing for a Planted Nano Need Input - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Preparing for a Planted Nano Need Input

Hello all
I am going to start a new planted tank and am trying to decide between the Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 or the Coralife Bio 29. Kinda odd as the Nuvo 16 would be the perfect fit where it will be placed. But the Bio 29 is nearly double the capacity, includes good lighting and is about $70 cheaper but would dominate the bar island that seperates the kitchen from the family room.

I love the longer Nuvo Nano 16 for its horizontal display size 23.5"L x 13" Tall also for it white or black color back and lights.
Cons depth front to rear of display area., low watt lighting (will probably have to upgrade). Does not pull display water from lower area of tank only from surface.
Pros Very attractive, stylish, full filtration in rear so can use the entire rear area for appliances, LED lighting, pedestal base raises tank, lack of wet/dry filtration may be benificial for CO2 injection, two overflow intakes one each end creates better flow, two returns help there to be less dead spots. Longer tank so more area to utilize different filtration media. UV, Reactor, Skimmer, heater, etc.

I like th Bio 29 for capacity, lighting (72 watts) vs the Nano 16 (16 watts), slightly less expensive.
Bio Cons to me are higher heat from lights, wet dry filtration (Maybe question yet to be answered by forum members), bow front maybe.
Pros can add led strips, has moonlights, stronger lighhting means better plant lighting, I like that it takes out the water from lowere level and upper level for filtration rather than only through over flow at top of tak on one side) Good depth front to rear and height.

QUESTION for group
Will wet dry filtration over bio balls actually hurt the CO2 injection as the trickle down chamber may cause injected CO2 to exchange out!
Is the single return of the Bio 29 a bad thing or good one. Also is the fact it only takes water in from one end a negative.

Suitablity to FW Planted. The Bio appears to me to be aimed directly at SW with FW doable but not its primary purpose.
Need some thoughts and ideas here as the purchase will be made sooooon,
Cant mess it up as only have a limited budget so first shoot must be a good choice.

Thanks
Bob.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode