noob question...pls. help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
noob question...pls. help

I've been anticipating an answer for a while so let me try this again...

I just purchased this tank which is only 3.25 wpg, which I understand is low light for nanos. My substrate is AS Amazon normal type.

1. Is it possible to grow the plants that are in the above picture? What plants are these? I initially wanted to go for the random_alias tank (drool)....but I understand my light is not capable of HC and Dwarf Hairgrass.

2. Instead of the dry-fert option, I think I should be OK with the Seachem line since its only a 4 gal tank...if so, will I be fine with just Flourish and Excel at their recommended doses (starting slow and increasing as days go by)?

3. I'd still love to have someone ID the plants in the first link since it look pretty neat...I've been told that there's anubias...If not, can you suggest something...I just did a search and found these 2 - Eleocharis parvula and Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'. I would also like some red plants...ideas?

Thanks for your help...

Last edited by jbrown; 07-28-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

OK, looks like editing won't "bump" the thread....(still learning) :-)

Here goes...

BUMP LOL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Let's see, plants in the picture are...

Anubias nana front and center with the round darker green leaves. Grass-like plant to the right looks like either Valisneria or Sagittaria, I'd go with Sag for such a small tank though, Vals get huge. Behind the Anubias in the center looks like Ludwigia brevipids x repens, or maybe just straight up repens. The green plant on the upper left, I'm not sure about. Could be Hygrophila corymbosa? That doesn't sound right though. I'm sure someone will speak up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You'll be just fine with the seachem line, and it wont' be too hard to find these plants. Most are available at petstores if you bug them enough, or through swap and shop on this forum, or available online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I <3 Eheim #195
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Wonderful...thanks so much for the plant ID...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek
You'll be just fine with the seachem line...
Just so that I understand correctly ...I'll be fine to begin with Flourish and Excel only or do I need smothing more...like Iron? Pardon my ignorance of the various chems.

Thanks again for your help...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem Flourish has lots of iron in it already - so much so that it will rust-stain your clothes if you spill it! What you *might* be defficient on is MACROnutrients, stuff like NO3 (nitrate), K (potassium), C (carbon) and PO4 (phosphate). Your fish will produce nitrate as waste, and you can get phosphates from decomposing fish food (as indicated by the ash content, generally ash dissolves into phosphates). Don't overfeed for this reason though - your fish will take care of it! Many people have enough potassium already in their water, especially if they use potassium-based water softener salts. The Excel will help supplement the Carbon and I'm sure will be plenty sufficient in a 4 gallon.

If you start to see signs of deficiency in your plants (curled or yellowing leaves, holes, slow growth, etc) you might want to add a DIY CO2 reactor and consider dosing very small amounts of macronutrients in addition to the Seachem stuff, but only if you need it. Your plants will tell you!

I <3 Eheim #195
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Seachem Flourish has lots of iron in it already - so much so that it will rust-stain your clothes if you spill it! What you *might* be defficient on is MACROnutrients, stuff like NO3 (nitrate), K (potassium), C (carbon) and PO4 (phosphate). Your fish will produce nitrate as waste, and you can get phosphates from decomposing fish food (as indicated by the ash content, generally ash dissolves into phosphates). Don't overfeed for this reason though - your fish will take care of it! Many people have enough potassium already in their water, especially if they use potassium-based water softener salts. The Excel will help supplement the Carbon and I'm sure will be plenty sufficient in a 4 gallon.
Thanks, I think I got that.

Quote:
If you start to see signs of deficiency in your plants (curled or yellowing leaves, holes, slow growth, etc) you might want to add a DIY CO2 reactor and consider dosing very small amounts of macronutrients in addition to the Seachem stuff, but only if you need it. Your plants will tell you!
I will keep an eye out for these signs you list. Once again, you've been very help ful. Thank you very much "JenThePlantGeek".
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Always glad to help!

Be sure to post an add in the swap and shop area of this forum for plants that you're looking for. Are you wanting to use those exact plants, or maybe something different? I don't have extras of those, but I have some other stuff and I might be able to help get you started.

Also I forgot to ask, what did you have in mind for fish? In a 4 gallon, a pair of killies would be in heaven, or maybe some white cloud tetras, or perhaps a betta and snails, or maybe go with guppies (though you'd have to thin them out once they start to reproduce), or how about doing a shrimp tank? Lots of possibilities! Avoid stuff that needs a heater, like neon tetras, and stuff that will get too big.

A word of advice that some people don't think about, it is VERY helpful to put your lights on an appliance timer. They are < $10, cheap ones <$5, and are just a lifesaver. Have your lights on 10 hours a day (+/- 2 hours, depending on what works for you) during whatever time you'll be around the tank most.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
yeah all those plants that i can name are already named..... the tank looks great... flourish should be fine. DEFFINATLY get a timer.... that has to be the most important thing to me learning... then the lights are always on/off the same and you dont need to worry about it...

i would vote for killifish or shrimp... or maybe some endlers livebearers. maybe some dwarf corries? the possibilities are endless...

- fish newb -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your kind advise, I already have a timer which I plan to use...and the fish?

You guys mean we need in a fish-tank? :-)

I initially wanted to go with Cardinals...but then random_alias advised me against. Shrimp / white cloud tetras sounds like a great idea...how about Neon tetras? or am I asking for trouble? :-)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Since your area is pretty warm, as long as your air temp stays in the upper 70s you'd be fine with neons without a heater, BUT...

neons are known to be a bit sensitive and can sometimes die unexpectedly in small setups which are prone to water quality fluctuations.

If you want to try neons, I'd cycle the tank with different fish first, get the plants established, and then swap it out for the neons. You might get lucky! Just don't slack off on the water changes for those guys, I'd do 50% weekly.

I <3 Eheim #195

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode