Fluval 13w Power Conpact Light for Dwarf Baby Tears? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval 13w Power Conpact Light for Dwarf Baby Tears?

I'm setting up a 1.75g tank and plan on having just DBT and some moss to create what would basically look like a field with a lone tree in it. I'm using Amazonia substrate with a good layer of the ADA fine grain sand over it. The tank only has about 4" of water between the surface and the sand. There is no filter or heater, my room is fairly warm with the large amount of tanks in it so I'm not concerned with the temperature dropping, also at most there I'll be 1, maaaaybe 2 very small species of fish or shrimp. My main question is would Fluval's 13w power compact light be sufficient to grow DBT with pressurized co2? I feel like it may be a silly question considering there isn't a lot of space between the substrate and light but I've never tried a carpet of DBT before, I will also attempt to start it out using the "dry method." Any input I appreciated.

50g Cube Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump

50g Cube Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Putting sand on top of Amazonia isn't a good idea. It's eventually going to sink beneath your substrate.

Whether or not the light fixture works for you will depend upon the dimensions of your tank. It will likely be high light but that depends upon whether there's enough spread to cover the entire tank. Will there be dark or unlit areas around the light?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The footprint is about 8"x5" and the fixture is actually longer than the tank by about 2". I used to have one of these Fluval lights when I had their shrimp tank kit. I'm sure it will cover the entire surface area of the tank.

50g Cube Journal -
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep - you're going to have high light. With the right amount of CO2 and ferts, you should be okay. You'll just have to play with the CO2 for a week or so to get things dialed in.

One thing you'll want to consider (even in a tank this small) is finding a way to filter or at least create a bit of waterflow so there's no stagnation, CO2 gets evenly dispersed and ferts spread around. RedSea and Azoo both make tiny little HOBs for under $10 that would work really well and even have adjustable flow. The intake pipe could be dremeled down to work with your tank without a problem.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually have the RedSea HOB, though it's been out of use for a while so I may need to get a new one but I had considered it.. I also considered a very small pump similar to the ones used in Fluval Spec filters though I don't know if I'd be able to find one for such a small tank.

50g Cube Journal -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's what we got so far.

50g Cube Journal -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

One thing you could do is get an Elite Micro internal filter and use the top half as a tiny powerhead. Or, heck, use the entire thing.

But My money would be on the tiny RedSea HOB you've already got. That'd be one less thing in the tank to take up room.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

True, I'll find the RedSea tonight and give it a go. See what happens from there.

50g Cube Journal -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use the TOMS 13 w perch light there about 2-3 inches shorter and a little less costly

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode