We need help with a 2 gallon bowl! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
We need help with a 2 gallon bowl!

Alright, so about 2 months ago I decided I'd invest the time and money into setting up a planted aquarium as I love the natural aspect of them. It's a 20 gallon and I'm gradually accumulating information and equipment to begin, but that's not why I'm here.

My little brother, 14, has decided he loves the idea of planted tanks as well after watching me research them for weeks. I told him if he really wanted I would do my best to help him out with a 1 or 2 gallon bowl with shrimp or a betta. (leaning more towards shrimp cause he really likes them)

Although I have gathered a fair bit of information I still have a few questions and helping me out would go a long way.

First of all I've heard that for that size of a tank I wouldn't necessarily need a filter, is this correct? I'm hoping so cause that would save me some money, I have airstones if that helps, should i use them? If I dont need a filter what would I be looking at for water changes? My oldest brother had a tank in the past, not a planted aquarium, but he still has liquid CO2, I'm pretty sure that will suffice for a nano tank. I have very good access to fish/plant supplies and my brother likes hairgrass so I'm planning to get some of that. I also have driftwood I found in the wild, currently being treated (it's been boiled and has soaked for 1 month until now) so I'm going to use some of that. Also if I don't need a filter how would I go about cycling the tank? (I really have no clue on this one)

Also if you wouldn't mind adding any input on what shrimp like? hard water? Are they good starter invertebrates? anything really helps.

I'm still learning and any help would be AMAZING, Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
for 1-2 gallon bowl you don't have to have a filter. I do recommend a good substrate such as aquasoil. make sure you pick the right plants such as moss, l. repens, anacharis, bacopa or other easy to grow plants at first. air stone won't hurt.

start with basic cherry red shrimps and you can check online for parameters.

as for cycling, you can do a fishless cycle by adding your plants and if you have some rocks, mulm from old tank. wait a week or so to see if your plants are growing. then you can add like a snail and see if it survives. if so then a your fish or one shrimp and see how it goes and slowly add more live stock.

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkychun View Post
for 1-2 gallon bowl you don't have to have a filter. I do recommend a good substrate such as aquasoil. make sure you pick the right plants such as moss, l. repens, anacharis, bacopa or other easy to grow plants at first. air stone won't hurt.

start with basic cherry red shrimps and you can check online for parameters.

as for cycling, you can do a fishless cycle by adding your plants and if you have some rocks, mulm from old tank. wait a week or so to see if your plants are growing. then you can add like a snail and see if it survives. if so then a your fish or one shrimp and see how it goes and slowly add more live stock.

good luck
Alright thanks a lot dude. How often should I change the water without a filter?

I have eco complete, I couldn't get my hands on ADA aquasoil cause I live in Canada and its harder than you think :p

I was looking at cherry shrimp and I'm glad thats a good option. Crystal shrimp also intrigue me. Do you know how good of a light ill need for this tank?

Thanks a bunch man

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
We need help with a 2 gallon bowl!

What light would you plan on using?

A simple desk lamp with a 6500k bulb would work as well as some led models.

I used dirt and capped it. You might look into Eco complete for substrate, it would be cheaper then aqua soil....

Go easy for the plants, also check out some crypts and small swords.

IMO you can do with out the air stone, especially with the betta.

Shrimp are really cool and cherry are certainly the easiest. Try the search function and look up Newman's shrimp bowl (if spelled wrong, sorry). That bowl was truly inspiration.

Hope it turns out positive for you and your little bro!

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For such a small tank, you really don't need a filter, but you really need to keep up with water changes. Like at least 2 times per week. As for airs tones, not a requirement, but helpful for livestock. No co2 needed, as it may choke the livestock (for such a small tank, you could overdose). If you want to grow hairgrass, you will need like a 3-4 watt light fixture for the tank. For the shrimps, I would recommend red cherry shrimp, they are hardy little creatures. If you can't find some around your area, you can always get them on eBay, or you can go to PetCo or PetSmart or something and get ghost shrimp, but they are jumpers, so get a cover if you plan on getting ghosties. And I have no clue as to cycling either, someone else might tell you how.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are a beginner, don't try crystal shrimp. They are more sensitive to parameters than red cherries, and they can give up on you very easily.

Last edited by Shrimpo_Brian; 05-13-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And for plants, you can go with the hairgrass, and you can also add some java moss, or any type of moss, for the shrimp babies. Also some floaters can be nice and good looking
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks yo everyone who's helping, means a lot. I just need to purchase a light, already have the eco complete. Excited about the little cherry shrimp. I'll pass on your help to my little bro, thanks so much guys.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can get a deep blue nano filter for under 15 bucks it adjustable for flow. It will help with the tank you'll need a heater deep blue make a nano heater to like 6 bucks. I like filtration just makes for a happier tank and it cheap. Cherry's are cool. Gobys and killies might be a cool choose as well. As far as lights go there are a lot of chooses from cheap to "what how much?".

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No problem! I (we) are always glad to help a fellow member! :3
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We would like to hear from you when the tank is fully established, too!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll have to check out the deep blue filter and light. I work at Big Al's (LFS, I know they often get a lot of hate but I try to keep an open mind and do my best to learn everywhere, including here, in order not to give out bad advice) but that makes getting livestock/plants/equipment a hell of a lot easier and cheaper.

I'll get a journal up once everything's running, thanks again
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Hey I've had good experience with big als. If that's the case get two bowl one shrimp one beta!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Algae Grower

If you can't get your shrimp from the store (none currrently in stock, order backed up, etc.) try Kijiji or your local aquarium society. There's a good chance someone may be selling some of their extras there. That's how I got my starter colony.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode