Glass Display Case as Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass Display Case as Tank?

So I'm sure I'm not the only person to have ever had this idea, but I can't seem to find any other posts about it here...

Anybody ever use a glass display case as an aquarium - the kind you keep sports mementos like signed baseballs and whatnot in?

I came across this and aside from the mirrored surfaces (and maybe the fact that the lid is hinged glass w/ no easy way of running airline into it), it doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult to convert. The only other thing that I'm concerned about would be the glue used in assembly.

Anybody try this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 PM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
I'm almost positive the silicone on the seams of the glass would not hold water. I don't know if what your talking about would have a base built into it, but that probably wouldn't hold a tank of water either. A pic of the display case would help...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Planted Member

The displays are usually made of really thin glass as well.

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would imagine that if you ran an extra bead of silicon sealant along all inside corners it would become tough enough to hold water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As long as the existing sealant isn't somehow toxic that's an idea (reinforcing w/ aquarium sealant).

This is what prompted the idea in the first place:

http://pages.hollysglassworks.com/11...922399645.html

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Given the size of that particular container (8") the glass looks plenty thick enough, also since it's a cube it's not holding that large a volume of water.

But — extra silicone definitely.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Silicone doesn't do a very good job of sticking to other dry silicone. I'd say your best bet is to scrape out all the extra silicone on the inside (but not pull apart the glass), clean up the surface really good, and then reseal it. Use tape to get nice straight edges on the silicone.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode