10 Gallon Tank 1st Try - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
10 Gallon Tank 1st Try

I read a lot of thread and articles in various forums about 2 months ago and decided to start a small tank. Since there's a flea market in my city every wednesday and saturday night, I have access to many cheap plants and fish, but I really don't know all of their scientific names, so comments and helps would be appreciated. Here's some pictures of my tank, sorry about the crappy pics quality, I used a phone camera..

Here's my spec :
- 10 gallon Nisso tempered glass tank
- 2 DIY soda bottles for CO2, about 2 bubbles/sec
- Wood air stone, to make really small bubbles (no reactor)
- Hang on back waterfall type filter
- About 20 watts fluorescent light
- Liquid fertilizers 5 ml weekly
- For base substrate I only use red clay from building bricks
- White sand from local beach
- Drift wood and small stones for decoration
- Plants : Hemianthus, Java Moss, don't really know the rest
- Fish : 14 Neon Tetra, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 5 Rasbora harlequin, 2 common rainbow, 1 Bosemani rainbow, and 5 Red Cherry shrimps

Total cost is below US$50..

Photos :

Recently my Hemianthus at the front is dying and turning brown right now, I suspect it's because lack of lighting, since the Hemianthus in the other tank survived.

I have another 2 gallon tank, it's only about 1 week old, here's the pic :

Again, comments, sugestions, advices, and critics are welcome..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 AM
Planted Member

Hi Ikuzo, congrats on the new tank, it's beautiful ! And it was really cheap too (that' nice also). Maybe (just maybe) the sand will be very hard to keep clean, but you can replace it if becomes messy.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Guillermo, it is indeed very hard to maintain the white sand, fish poop can be found everywhere, and the sand will fly around if the filter current is too strong. That driftwood has holes in the back so the red cherry shrimp often just hang out in there and goes out cleaning algae on my java moss sometimes. Some people on other forums don't believe me about the cost, but it is indeed true, for example I only bought that tank for $8.5 cheap.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Looks really nice.. Did you mean beach like at the ocean? I am not sure I would use that for a fresh water aquarium. Did you steralize the sand first? There could be all kinds of nasties in it.

But again, nice work!

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes it's ocean beach sand, the story is 2 months ago I have a trip to Bali and went to this remote beach and decided to take some for my Goldfish aquarium. I only wash it a few times with freshwater to remove salt content and dried it with sunlight after making sure there's no small rock or small coral pieces. It's just simply beautiful white and I got some of them accidentally dropped on my driftwood adding like a snowy effect.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:30 PM

Nice looking tank,now all that is left is for your foreground to carpet itself and it would be picture perfect. I am not sure if washing would help with eliminating any possible problems the beach sand would bring about. Afterall,it is from an entirely different water body and i am not sure if it is worth risking the beautiful scape. If i am not wrong,freshwater white sand can also be purchased from LFS.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's doing just fine after 2 months, and before that I tested for a month before scaping with bare sand, a few cheap plants and cheap fish, and none of them died. I removed the Hemianthus last night though, because I feel it has no hope of surviving with my current lighting, most of them are brown. Do I need metal halide for growing Hemianthus?

Oh, and I suspect my Siamese algae Eater is eating my Java Moss' tiny leaves because some of them only grow their stem, without leaves. Is this true, or something else caused this to happen (moss growing without leaves)? Not enough fertilizer or water change? Since some of my moss is in the mid tank, so no lighting problem...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You are doing much better than I am, that's for sure. My tank was kind of put together with whatever I could find, didn't matter if it worked or not.

The piece of wood in there is outstanding. Are you going to let it be overgrown with moss or keep it similar to what it is now?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm gonna let the moss grow and cover it partially, and I'm gonna keep it around the part of the wood where I tied the moss initially. But as I said before, I need to handle the problem with my SAE, maybe I'll take the fish out since I read somewhere else that it DOES eat moss.

More about the wood, I bought it from a local fish store, I saw the wood as a decoration in a lobster tank and negotiate my way to buy it. It was a big chunk of wood, and it's already sunk by itself because they submerged it for a long time. I bought it and cut it here and ther so it can fit my aquarium.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

a litle bit update..
- one DIY light hood with 2 x 15 watts comact fluorescent
- one mini fan set cooling system (new lights bring more heat)

removed the hemianthus and replace with hair grass

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode