Hello~ New To Planted Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Hello~ New To Planted Tanks

Hello,
I am new here and am interested in setting up two 6 gal JBJ nano cubes for my Bettas. I have had them for years in 3 gal. eclipses, and the other day one of the lights broke. I refuse to buy another as they are pretty much junk. I want to try the nanos instead..it will give more water volume, and I hope it will look nicer. Any advice or suggestions you can make would be great! I spoke with a guy this morning in SD...aquariumplants.com I think, and they have the nanocubes and are willing to swap out the bulbs for me for the 6500K FW bulbs. I also would like to know what plants I will be able to keep, what is the best substrate, and do I need to add a pump with airstone in these tanks?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is my only attempt at any fw plants in a tank. This is my third betta.

These are the tanks I want to replace

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just to show you I am not a total dummy

Here are some of my other pets...

Crab Vivarium

Leopard Gecko Viv

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Saltwater~

12 gal NC

75 gal

65 gal

Sheba

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quite a menagerie you've got going there!

Your bettas are lucky if you're buying them each a 6 gallon JBJ cube: those tanks are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Considering how many people just throw bettas in fruit jars or water glasses or whatever, anything bigger is a step up.

There are a lot of threads in here about substrate, plants, filtration/water movement; a lot of people have strong opinions about this being better than that or what have you, so expect more replies than just mine; but I'd say for plants you should start with fast-growing stems (moneywort, wisteria, maybe a rotala) since they contribute to healthier water, look great, and give your fish something to hide out in. For shorter plants steer towards things that don't need intense light - java moss for instance.

As for an airstone... it can't hurt. Seriously.

Lastly, rather than risk starting an endless back & forth debate, I'll say that my personal preference for substrate is ADA Aquasoil (granted, it's the only thing I've used yet though). It's nicely monochrome and has a lot of nutrients to get your plants' root systems started. Many people find it too pricy for their tastes, but like I said before, if you're springin' for two JBJ 6g cubes I think a $20 bag of substrate shouldn't be too much of an issue.

PS - be prepared for some folks' commentaries on your old betta tanks' decor in the pics you posted.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for your reply. Yes I know they look bad...that's what I'm here for. LOL
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey Carole, you came to the right place to get advice and tips. I know my head is still swimming. One thing's for sure, if you put half the effort into your betta tanks as you put into your reef tanks, you're going to have some awesome planted tanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Les! Thanks for telling me about this site. It looks like the planted tank folks are as passionate about this hobby as we are about reeftanks. I love them. I am pretty confused at this point too. Is 3 wts per gal considered moderate light? How many inches of substrate is best and how is the Carib Sea Eco-Complete? Is that all you need or do you put peat under it? I see now the difference between true aquatic plants and my feeble attempt with houseplants..LOL. Seems like perhaps I can incorporate some good plants in the little window tank too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacat
There are a lot of threads in here about substrate, plants, filtration/water movement; a lot of people have strong opinions about this being better than that or what have you, so expect more replies than just mine;
So....where are they?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The sub forums that deal with the aspects of the planted aquarium would have these answers, the search function will be the easist way to get the most out of the forum. All your questions have a range of answers, until you start pinning down what you want to keep in terms of plants/livestock, or what type of aquascape you want. For example, I like to see my plants pearl so I have a high turnover rate but I've directed all the flow down from the surface and behind a rock - that also means I had to have high light and CO2 to get the plants to pearl in the first place. I'd start a journal take pictures and people will follow and help you along the way.

Quick answer to your questions 3wpg is moderate to high light for a tank 10gallons or larger (a 0.5gallon tank with 1.5watts over it wouldn't grow anything more than moss). I vary my substrate hieght down as low as possible, because i don't like the look of trim and then algae growing in the substrate. I like the color of eco-complete but it has a tendancy to have stuff accumulate on the surface, I might try 3M color quartz - but i've never used a substrate with zero nutrients for the plants and I'm not ready for that challenge yet. If you have plants labeled heavy root feeders, you'll need to put substrate fertilizers in the substrate, but peat hasn't kept many followers that i've read about over the years. Moreover because eco doesn't trap debris below the surface, any time you move plants the substrate wouldn't look clean.

Last edited by 5380; 07-07-2006 at 05:16 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you for the helpful post.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode