Eclipse System 6 Journal - UPDATED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking Eclipse System 6 Journal - UPDATED

First of all, I just want to say that I have been into aquariums for quite a while, but this is my first attempt at a planted tank, yet alone a nano.

Also, does anyone know the name of the bushy bunch plants in the rear?

Comments and opinions are welcomed! - Will be updated periodically.

Setup:

-Eclipse System 6 - everything original
-10 lb. Eco Complete

Fish:

-(2) Neon Tetras
-(6) Silver Tip Tetras

Front

Angle from Right

Last edited by agdavis; 05-06-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Word!

Hey thats a good start. This is Ryan btw. Where are you getting your flora and fauna from?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sandbar pet store in mission viejo...little mom and pop place. one of the guys from pettown works there now...the young bald guy with glasses who knows a ton. decent place for fish and plants now, and they can order anything

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
looks like a good start....what is your dosing regime, lighting specs,.etc.....
o and one thing to becareful of is the silver tipped tetras. I had 7 and ended up with 3 because they can get aggressive with each other forcing the least agressive to not eat and hide all the time.....good luck!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh yeah, forgot that stuff

Lighting is the stock 8W that came with it, so that puts me at 1.3 wpg..just enough for some low light plants. I plan on upgrading to the hellolights 28W retrokit in the next couple months.

As for dosing, i just picked up some FloraPride for 3 bucks until i get a good understanding on how ferts work, how much to dose, and how to make my own from industrial fertilizers. As of now, i'm dosing about 5 mL of florapride per week with the water change.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:21 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Read this (unless you already did) it tells you everything you want to know........http://rexgrigg.com/ ......it helped me a lot
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update...
Added some riccia and anubia nana petite.

I also moved the main rock to make room for my african root wood that is soon going to be going in...

Sorry for the not so clear pictures...trying to get better at it.

Left angle shot

Front shot
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
The bunch plant in the rear of the tank in the first pic, and the back left of the most recent picture is Green Hedge. Unfortunately it isn't a true aquatic and won't last very long submerged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
The bunch plant in the rear of the tank in the first pic, and the back left of the most recent picture is Green Hedge. Unfortunately it isn't a true aquatic and won't last very long submerged.
really, are you sure that is what it is? i read about it on that link and it says it will die and rot in my tank (and it actually has been doing that so far....been lookin pretty bad). the guy at the LFS said it was 'anarchris'. is that what it is?

i do find this plant indeed annoying...any reccomendations from what i should put there instead?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm as sure as I can be without seeing the plants in person. Don't worry, I got suckered into buying them too when I was setting up my first serious planted tank. It's a very attractive plant that is one of many that are good at teaching us to research before you buy.

With your current lighting I'd probably go with a crypt back there. Any of the varients of Crypt Wendtii would look very nice in my opinion. Once you upgrade the light you'll have a lot more options. Rotala Rotundifolia is the main one that comes to mind right now.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
I'm as sure as I can be without seeing the plants in person. Don't worry, I got suckered into buying them too when I was setting up my first serious planted tank. It's a very attractive plant that is one of many that are good at teaching us to research before you buy.

With your current lighting I'd probably go with a crypt back there. Any of the varients of Crypt Wendtii would look very nice in my opinion. Once you upgrade the light you'll have a lot more options. Rotala Rotundifolia is the main one that comes to mind right now.
besides being ugly, leaving it in there couldnlt do any harm right?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
once it starts rotting, it will mess with your water chemistry... raise ammonia levels i think
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is my DIY CO2 that i created today. Tried to keep it parsimonious by simply having a tube coming off the tank, to a needle valve, and into the tank via tubing. Its late now so i'm going to try the cigarrete filter diffuser tomorrow....heres a pic.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update...

I put my new wood centerpiece in. It is a piece of african root wood, which i obtained for a paltry $2.50 from my LFS It seemed like the trick to sink it was to make sure it was 100% submerged in a bucket with weights on it.

I'm also planning on adding a bubble counter to my DIY CO2 as we speak...

You can really see the lousy shutter speed of my digital camera...

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You sure that's fluorite?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode