can fish increase CO2 Levels? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cool can fish increase CO2 Levels?

so, i was thinking today about how i could get more CO2 in my tank w/o setting up a DIY or a cylinder CO2 setup and i thought "what if i add more fish so as they metabolize they expel more CO2 into the water?"

anyone have any thoughts on this? i know there would be an increased amount of biowaste but i wonder if it would be worth the increase CO2 levels...

lets see what you people think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ive wondered this many times but i believe they will to a certan extent but without madly overstocking i doubt it would help much usually nanos without a fliter tend to have more than enough co2 ? depending on how large they are but this is just my 2 cents so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think long before you will get significant increase in CO2 levels you would run into depletion of O2 problems.....

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
do you need CO2 for carbon? or to lower your pH?

if you need it for carbon seachem excel does pretty well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

for carbon for the plants.... what does seachem excel do? provide dissolved CO2? is that the same as dissolved gasseous CO2 in the water?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Excel does the same thing your CO2 does for the plants...provide carbon, but in a slightly different form.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

is it just as good at gaseous CO2? advantages/disadvatages?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

It supplies the same carbon that the plants need. Excel is expensive, that's the main disadvantage. A tank of CO2 might cost you $20 a year, but Excel will cost you at least 10 times that if you used only Excel in a large tank.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Fish aren't going to produce enough CO2 to make a noticable difference... doesn't matter how many you have.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
In order for the fish or anything non autotrophic to produce CO2, they need to burn carbonhydrates/ reduced sugars. To do that, they need O2. So for each O2 they use up, they produce a CO2.

There's only 6-8 ppm in most well run aquariums of O2.
So the more fish you add, the less O2.

The other bad thing with too many fish: more NH4 waste. Good filters, lots of plants can handle a fair amiount, but if you overload the system, the time it takes for the NH4 to be processed increases.............and then you get an algae bloom and the water's O2 goes down moere since now the bacteria start really using up the O2 as well.

If you take a deep gravel sample and add it to a vial and shake it good without any air inthe vial and you do not disturb the gravel sample when you take it, the O2 will quickly drop to zero(bacteria will use it all up rapidly).

You should gravel vac the substrate once every few months in sections(2-4 over 2-4 week's time) to reduce the load of bacteria snd detritus, reduced carbon laying around in a tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
In order for the fish or anything non autotrophic to produce CO2, they need to burn carbonhydrates/ reduced sugars. To do that, they need O2. So for each O2 they use up, they produce a CO2.

There's only 6-8 ppm in most well run aquariums of O2.
So the more fish you add, the less O2.

The other bad thing with too many fish: more NH4 waste. Good filters, lots of plants can handle a fair amiount, but if you overload the system, the time it takes for the NH4 to be processed increases.............and then you get an algae bloom and the water's O2 goes down moere since now the bacteria start really using up the O2 as well.

If you take a deep gravel sample and add it to a vial and shake it good without any air inthe vial and you do not disturb the gravel sample when you take it, the O2 will quickly drop to zero(bacteria will use it all up rapidly).

You should gravel vac the substrate once every few months in sections(2-4 over 2-4 week's time) to reduce the load of bacteria snd detritus, reduced carbon laying around in a tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr
good to know! thanks a ton.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode