6 gal nano newbie question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
6 gal nano newbie question

ok guys, so this is my first post on plantedtank.net...

i recently purchased a eclipse system 6. i'm on a budget so i plan on leaving the original light in there, but i want to do some low light, hardy plants. is it neccesary to go and buy a flourite substrate? the problem is is that i can only find it in a 20 lb bag for $24.95 and i dont need nearly that much (or afford it!). would using plain gravel with water fertilizer be sufficient if i am only going to use low light, hardy plants?

thanks alot for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:27 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Gravel is a bit course to hold much, but a course sand can work - I think Rex's guide might have some pics. I think it might be called blast sand, or pool filter sand. I got mine at a lfs - so paid a bit more than I probably should have.

That said, demineralized top soil can work as well - if you have the time to demineralize it. Basically you start with fill dirt (dirt with minimal organic matter) soak it, then let it dry naturally. The damp soil will effectivly compost. By doing this cycle enough times, you will compost away all the organic matter in the soil - and it will be stable enough to use as a substrait.

Others have probably discribed it better than me. I have cycled some, but have not tank tested it yet (waiting for the next tank to try it out).

Not sure about 20 lbs for a 6 gallon - but you will want 3+" of substrait

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so i'd be fine using plain sand then? not some expensive nutrient filled sand?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
You should be fine with sand. I've often seen Pool Filter Sand listed as one of the best inexpensive sand options since it's both inert and a good grain size. Be aware that the available colors does tend to vary from one locale to another so you may not be able to find the same colors in your area that you read about others using.

When using sand or another substrate that isn't nutrient rich you can easily suppliment it by using root tabs. There are some other methods that you can use to enrich your substrate which include things like a thin layer of peat and/or mulm under your new substrate. These options will require some additional research for more specifics on how to set it up.

You'll also want to keep in mind that sand should be stirred periodically to ensure that it doesn't compact. You can do this manually with a chop stick or some such, or you can add some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to take care of the job for you. There are some species of fish that do a good job of keeping the substrate stirred for you too, but I believe that most of these would get too large for your tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the replies guys.

the owner of the local fish store down the street broke open a 20 pound bag of flourite for me and let me buy half of it for half price...

wish me luck, i'll probably start a photo journal here in the next couple weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode