Planting a 5 gal tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planting a 5 gal tank

I got i 5 gal tank from my budie the other day and was thinking of planting it. As you can see from my name i am new at this. So in the tank hood i have place for two 25 watt bulbs. Is this too much light for such a small tank(is there such a thing?) Since i can have a min of 5wpg, i know i should have a CO2 system. So i say a system and was wondering if i would work.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/HAGEN-NUTRAFIN-C...QQcmdZViewItem)
I also know that i need good gravle, i was thinking of putting sand as a top level . As a first level i would put (http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/prod...tegory_id=3145)
and i would use this as me sand
(http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/prod...tegory_id=2429)
I was wondering if im going in the right direction? Tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
I am in no way qualified to answer any technical questions as of yet as I am still a "newb" myself, so I will not try to answer your main questions but I can give you a bit of my experience with my 5.5 gal tank. I have 30 Watts on it and still have a hard time controlling my temperature in there unless I turn my lights off and on periodically during the day which has been a pain. I am sure others here can give you the specific answers to your questions to help you along further. I would be interested myself in knowing the answer to this lighting question as I am still searching for a viable answer.

I am interested in the aqualight mini. It's 9" and is made by coralife aqualights. I would hope it's cooler burning than the bulbs I have currently. It may cost more than you are willing to spend but I would like to know if others have used this light and if it helps with the temperature issue.

Just my .02 but I would go with some of the more experienced gurus on this site, they know what they are doing, I am still learning.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
At a guess, those two 25 Watt bulbs are probably incadescent bulbs? If this is the case they'd be nearly worthless for plant growth and definately wouldn't give you the same amount of light as a Flourescent Lighting would which is what the WPG "rule" is based on. You'd be better off replacing them with a couple of Screw In Compact Flourescents which would get you better light without having to replace the fixture.

If these are actually Compact Flourescents you'll need to plan on having CO2 and ferts ready from the start and strap yourself in for a rollercoaster ride, since that is an insane amount of light over that size tank. Best bet in this situation would be to either not run one of the lights or replace half the lighting with actinics (either replace on of the bulbs with an actinics or replace both with 50/50 bulbs). Most of the light from actinics is not utilized by plants so this would bring your lighting down to a more reasonable level, although you'll still need to have the CO2 and ferts on hand.

The Nutrafin Natural CO2 System is basically just DIY CO2 in a pretty package with a passive diffuser. You would be better off building your own and building a powered reactor. Less money in the end and more efficient.

The Flourite is a good choice as is Eco Complete. If you decide to use either of these, keep in mind that you want them to be at least 50% of your substrate or you are decreasing the benefits they provide to the point where you are wasting your money.

There are two thing that you should keep in mind about the Onyx Sand. First it isn't really sand, more like a fine gravel very similar in consistancy to the Flourite. Second it will buffer your water (raise the PH and KH), which often isn't a desireable thing. With the expense of the Onyx you would probably be better off just sticking with 100% Flourite. If you like the look of Onyx better, they are supposed to be coming out with a Black Flourite soon or the Eco Complete may be a better option if you want to set this up sooner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

You are right I do have incadescent bulbs, I was looking for Compact Flourescents bulbs but was unable to find them. Would it be possible to get a link for these bulbs, for me to get an idea of what they look like. My next question is what would 50 watts with incadescent bulbs represent in wpg?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar0328
I am interested in the aqualight mini. It's 9" and is made by coralife aqualights. I would hope it's cooler burning than the bulbs I have currently. It may cost more than you are willing to spend but I would like to know if others have used this light and if it helps with the temperature issue.
I just purchased the mini aqualight, and it does give off a good amount of heat. I have it over a 2.5gal open top that sits next to my air conditioner (not the best placement I know, but there's no fauna in it yet) and the temp stays around 80. Placing a small fan to remove the heat from the light is the cheapest option for heat control, but it will also make the water evaporate more quickly.

29 gallon
6 celebes rainbowfish
1 dwarf powder blue gourami
3 Ancistrus claro
12 glowlight tetras
2 kribensis (20+ fry after a few months)
4 longfin danios
10g Betta/hosp/quar. tank
Nagasaki the betta
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantnoobie
You are right I do have incadescent bulbs, I was looking for Compact Flourescents bulbs but was unable to find them. Would it be possible to get a link for these bulbs, for me to get an idea of what they look like. My next question is what would 50 watts with incadescent bulbs represent in wpg?
Here's an example of the Screwin Compact Flourescents. Many of the Walmarts have basically the same bulb in their Aquarium Dept for about $5.

I don't know for sure what the equivalent WPG would be for 50 Watts Incadescent, but it would probably fall under Very Low Light.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all the information!j chicago pointed out that the heat facteur could increase a lot. What are the best ways to keep your water temp cold?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of building my own CO2 system
(http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11687)
I was wondering if i could just use this at the end of the line to diffuse the CO2
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

As for bulbs heating tanks - I just have a freakin' 18w power compact fluoro on my 5 gallon and unless I prop the lid open a bit and point a fan at it from a few feet away it'll stay at 80* easily.

Only venting can help control it [for me], but hot days scare me a little. Luckily we don't get too many of those in San Francisco.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I use a 20w screw-in CF in a five gallon, I think two of the ten or fifteen watt bulbs from walmart would do the trick nicely. The 10w bulbs are in the aquarium section, the 15w bulbs are light of america brand and are in the lighting section with the other screw-in CF bulbs. The DIY co2 looks good, but that diffusor will probalby be big and require a lot of pressure to push the bubble through the ceramic disk. I use a ceramic fine mist air stone under the filter intake and it works great. I've heard of success using limewood airstones too. Good luck.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all the help. It help me a lot.
Thanks again!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode