Eclipse 3 ideas and tips? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hooray! I just found an Eclipse 3 at goodwill for $7. It is in great condition but missing the filter. I'm still looking for a replacement filter and once I find that I hope to make it a planted tank.
Any ideas or helpfull hints? What plants would work? Any fish? How many? Should I replace the original bulb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
My planted eclipse was one of my fav tanks, and it didn't have a filter either, lol.

I used small crypt species. Parva, Wendtii, maybe a few Willisii, some petite anubias, and baby tears would make for a nice tank. Otherwise, if you add co2, just about any fine leafed plant shoudl do fine. It will just be kind of a pain, having to trim so frequently.

Fish can be a little trickier. Many people will say it's to small for such a space, but I disagree. You shoudl have good luck with a single betta, a sparkling gourami or 2, a spike tailed licorice gourami, a honey gourami, a pygmy gourami, a croaking gourami, a trio of pygmy cories, a dwarf puffer, a small school of neon tetras, or a male guppy or 2. There are quite a few other choices, these are just the ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

The original bulb should probably go, as you don't know how old it is, might have a bit of a pickle finding a replacement tho..

Good luck with it, I woudl love to see pics when you've got it up and running.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Since the filter is gone.. would using a Whisper internal Micro filter work? It says it's supposed to go inside the tank.. I'm a bit worried about taking up to much room.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's what I use.. It's not so bad.. Add a black background, and you'll hardly even notice it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125
That's what I use.. It's not so bad.. Add a black background, and you'll hardly even notice it.
Yep, saw a 2.5g AGA Mini-Bow on display at the LFS. Was staring at the tank for quite a while before I finally realized there was that internal filter in the tank. Black background is a must, though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Algae Grower

I have an eclipse here at work, 3 gal, with the original filter and lighting. I have a dwarf Sword (baby from my main tanks) a red pair of coontail cacombas, a piece of driftwood with java fern doing well (move it away from the lighting, mine likes under the cacomba which threatens to take over the tank) and water wisteria. I have a pair of Pygmaeus Haphesteus and a male fancy guppy (rescued from a feeder tank) After the tank cycled I added two cherry shrimp and a wood shrimp ( I thought it was three until I noticed the fans on the wood shrimp). I use pure flourite as a substrate which ;my lfs sells for 1.99 a pound, and it took about 3 pounds for the tank. I can't stress on the lighting though. Keep the java fern away from the light (in my main tanks it grows profilically under the swords) and make sure you use a timer with your lights. (I have a 12 hour lighting cycle). I don't inject CO2 in this tank but use Kent's Plant supplements (two bottles, pro plant and plant I think). Weekly water changes are a must and the water wisteria grows so fast, I have yet to have an algae problem after 5 months. My wife is using a 3 gal and a 5 gal eclipse. She went with "Eco-Earth" substrate and uses dwarf lilies along with Java Fern. It "melted" away in her 3 gal but in her 5 gal I guess the light (hex) was far enough away it didn't affect it. I love the cherry shrimp and I am contemplating adding a few more since my main tank has had babies. Get at least two cories though if you want to see them during the day and get a few MTS. I feed mine once a day, with a very, very small pinch of flake and 1/4 stick of shrimp pellets. Once a week I have to trim the cacomba and the water wisteria.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.
Reef, Planted, vivarium, terriarium, salt.

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

Oh yeah. I use a small desk lamp to keep the tank cooler since the average temp here is 80 degrees. I use a piece of paper taped to the Heater Hole in the back of the hood to limit the amount of evaporative cooling my tank has. I keep it about 72 degrees. (The shrimp tend to grow faster and die quicker at higher temps). I attribute the shriimp to keeping algae under control along with the plants. Like I said I feed sparingly and I went 4 days without feeding to no ill effects during the holidays. (The guppy ate my dwarf lily though).

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Algae Grower

Something else someone may want to think about, Rasbora masticula. They are wee little fish and active as heck.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:08 PM

I have 2 eclipse 3 gallons and I absolutly love them. One is planted with lilliopsis(sp), glosso, petite nana and bacopa. the lighting has been upgraded to a 13 watt pc. I have a sparkling gourami and a licorice gourami. The other is stock lighting and is a home for my adolphi Corys for now and a croaking gourami.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

How big does a croaking Gourami get? I was thinking of a sparkling one for a 5 gal hex eclipse.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:56 PM

about 2.5 inches I do believe.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

So they are a bit larger than Sparkling gouranmis which I can only seem to find the gold ones (I want a blue one)

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1214
So they are a bit larger than Sparkling gouranmis which I can only seem to find the gold ones (I want a blue one)

Ray
Yeah the blue ones are nice. If you ever make it up to charlotte NC there is a store that usually has the blues ones. I want a gold one I cant find them around here at all
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower

Dang, If you make it to Atlanta we oughta trade. I have only been able to find the big blues and not the dwarf ones. I have seen sunsets and golds, but no blues.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

Do you guys have any pics of your Eclipse tanks?

36g planted, 110w, Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2213, Eco-complete mix; 5.5g planted, 13w, flourite

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode