5.5 gallon Tonina Tank - Let the Journal Begin - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
5.5 gallon Tonina Tank - Let the Journal Begin

I've never kept a soft acidic freshwater aquarium before, so this will be a first for me. I'll surely need some advice and info from you good folks.

I dusted off the RO/DI unit and started it cranking ...waste-water galore. I did end up getting some nice (?) water considering what I started with:

Aged Tap Water
KH - 18
GH - 19
pH - 8.3

Aged RO/DI Treated Water
KH - 2
GH - 4
pH - 6.9

Night and day isn't it?

We've all seen empty tanks with a sprinkling of peat and mulm on the bottom, so I didn't bother to document those steps. Here's a list of the equipment:
  • 5.5 All Glass Aquarium
  • Grade A pine homemade base and canopy
  • ZooMed 501 canister filter
  • Hagen Natural CO2 System
  • Two 1 X 13 watt AH Supply bright kits
  • 3 pounds Shultz's Aquatic Soil

clickable thumbs
Full Frontal of the tank

Left side closer view

Right side closer view

Now for the part everyone loves, the list of plants:
  • Rotala rotundifolia - temporary fast grower
  • Myriophyllum simulans - temporary fast grower
  • Guppy Grass - temporary fast grower
  • java moss - attached to temporary hardscape
  • java fern - attached to temporary hardscape
  • Blyxa japonica
  • dwarf sag - temporary to look less empty
  • Hottonia palustris
  • Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
  • Hemianthus micranthemoides
  • Riccia - temporary fast grower

Some pics of the permanent residents

H. palustris

H. sibthorpioides

Lonely baby B. japonica

Plant Questions
I ordered the following from Lowcoaster:
Tonina sp. 'Belem'
Rotala wallichii
Myriophyllum mattogrossense

Do these plants sound good? Any other must have plants I should consider?

CO2 Questions
With the hagen DIY CO2 running my pH dropped to 5.6 . I don't plan on keeping any fish or inverts in here, so this should be OK right? According to Chuck's chart that's 150.7 ppm CO2. I don't think I believe that. Could the light (very very light) sprinkling of peat have knocked my cal/mag buffering off, or is the chart likely correct?

Fert Questions
I have about a gallon each of the Seachem line. I have several pounds each of KH2PO4, K2SO4, KNO3 and Plantex CSM+B from Greg Watson. Any recommendations where to begin? I hate testing. Anyone ever scale down EI to 5 gallons of water and have success? I hit it with .5 ml Flourish Trace, .5 ml Flourish Iron yesterday when filling the tank, and .5 ml each of Flourish potassium, phosphate, and nitrogen this morning, just so there would be some nutrience in the water column. Any special needs of Tonina as far as nutrients go? I'd like to run this tank low on nitrates to get some pink tips on the R. wallichi. Will this affect the Tonina adversely? My H. palustris and H. sibthorpioides love root ferts. Any reason the Tonina wouldn't like Flourish Tabs?

General Questions
I've set this tank up in front of a window unit AC. Does 75-78 F sound like a workable temp for the Tonina?

I'm sure I'll think of more. Y'all don't be afraid to chime in as i re-learn how to keep plants in water rather than liquid rock.

Last edited by gbhil; 06-06-2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Started my own version of EI today, see This post for more details.

Also added a L. cardinalis (small form) to the tank flora. Expecting my plants from Lowcoaster tomorrow, will post updated pics after they get settled in.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
A sprinkle of baking soda should help bring your pH and KH up to the 4-5 dkh range, which should stabilize your pH. I would think the plants wouldn't like the pH swings too much, but I'll defer to someone who has more experience with pH's that low and plants. I've got my co2 set w/ a controller.

I've got a tank set-up almost the exact same way, just w/ flourite (soon to be onyx sand) and excel instead of CO2. I'll track my progress, as my tap water is about the same as your RO water. (I'm lucky)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
nope, a kH of 2 is perfect for tonina and such. Onyx will raise your kH making it harder for you to grow any of these 'soft water' plants. ie. eriocaulons, toninas, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (84/100%)
Where did you get your Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides? nice tank!

-brian

FILSTAR#88
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks more like Hydrocotyle leucocephala to me. My Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides is a lot smaller and more delicate looking. I may be wrong though.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
If your Rotala wallichii from Lowcoster doesn't make it (very sensitive plant when it comes to shipping) then I have some R. wallichii I could send you and I'm a little bit closer (isn't he in California?).

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

bgssamson - I got it from the WV Dept. of Natural Resources several years ago. They sometimes give landowners with ponds bog plants as part of a reforestation/greener WV project. I've got a metric assload of it growing emersed, and several pots transferring to submersed growth. What's in m tank is 'in between' emersed and submersed and is just starting to throw off its submersed foliage. When I get more of it switched over, I'll happily spread it around.

ianiwane - You're right, the submersed growth is usually shorter than what it is now. With it under better lighting in this tank it's already opening leaves much closer to the root system. I'm pretty sure of it's ID, based on where I got it and comparison of it's emersed form.

Jen - thanks for the offer! It arrived today from Lowcoaster and is in great shape. He's in NYC not CA, and I was wise enough to get it shipped express so it's looking good.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

hmm, I have it growing emersed as well, and it stays really short and delicate for me too.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Starting the scape

This is preliminary, but I felt like taking pics. I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited

Plants:
  • Tonina belem
  • Rotala wallachi
  • Rotala rotundiflora
  • Lobelia cardinalis
  • Blyxa japonica
  • Hemianthus callitrichoides
  • Hemianthus micranthemoides
  • Myriophyllum mattogrossense
  • Hottonia palustris
  • Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides

clickable thumbs

hardscape...yes I wish the rocks were darker.

Finally...my T. belem . Been wanting this plants for over a year, just never went to the trouble to set up a tank for it.

And lastly, the tank as of now

Needs a black background. And needs to lose the hagen kit and get on my jug with a nano diffuser. Also going to try some 7100k lamps in combo with the 6700's over it now.

Tell me what else is wrong with it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lights

I just picked up a 5.5gal. Just curious, how did you arrange the AHS lights over your tank?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I staggered them, the rear bulb closer to the left side of the hood and the front bulb closer to the right side. Seems to be pretty even coverage over the tank this way with the lamps about 2 inches above the water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode