Convince me to keep my JBJ 6g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unhappy Convince me to keep my JBJ 6g

I'm tired of my 6g nanocube. The plants are melting, I'm still dealing with a layer of algae on the surface of the tank (like pond scum), and it's alot of work.

So what should I do? I have Hygro Difformis, Giant Hygro, Bacopa Carolina, and Petite Anubias Nana in the tank.

3w/g CF lighting. I just don't think the 3w/g is very good. I don't want massive growth but what if I did CO2 injection? That's why I avoided it originally - slow growth. But I've got a monster that I'm too depressed to deal with. I dose dry ferts (Greg Watson), Excel (for Carbon), Flourish, and Flourish iron on water change day.

Ugh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dwarf Gourami, Cardinal Tetras, Julii Corydoras
Coralife T5NO (2x28w), DIY Yeast CO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
keep trying! never give up!

to help with your algae problem though, either try to get some DIY CO2 going or cut down on lighting. a little mouse told me once; when you get algae, cut back on lighting, not nutrients.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
what are your water temps? i have both a 6 and a 12 and they heatup like crazy with the lights on, that limits what you can keep in them. i dont use co2 but add a little excel and flourish when i remember to. pearlweed and najas grow like crazy and by the afternoon are pearling so much it looks like a glass of soda water with all the bubbles. as for the surface scum, i have that too and pretty much gave up on trying to get rid of it, soaked it up with a paper towel but it came back in a day. fish dont seem to mind, and as long as the water level is up near the top you only see it when opening the hood to feed.

good luck with yours,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 AM

Thumbs up JBJ Nano

Funny coming across this because I got frustrated with mine, same 6 gallon size, and had it set up as a reef tank! I converted it to a freshwater shrimp tank. I have flourite base, 2 small pieces of driftwood with taiwan moss, weeping moss and erect moss growing on both so the shrimp have plenty of cover. I actually attached a small java fern to one piece and it's growth has been explosive! I also have a few stem plants, the aforementioned naja grass, HC and glosso in small amounts growing in the open foreground. I keep 2 Amano shrimp and about 50-60 cherry reds. I have a clip on fan that blows across the top of the water and keeps the temp a constant 75 which the cherries like. I have had 5-6 pregnant females and 3-4 of them have successfully delivered baby shrimplets...... I love this tank now because it is low maintenance, the plants and livestock are thriving and by selling the cherries I have some extra cash to pay for the hobby. I change the water 1-2 times per week and dose very small amounts of excel and flourish. The plants I am growing are fairly low maintenance and I have the same lights over mine as you do it sounds like. Anyway, I understand the frustrations of dealing with small tanks. They have their challenges. I have the film in my overflow but not my main tank area because I have an air diffuser running 24/7 which breaks up the surface film. Good luck. Darrell (I should add it has been set up for about 3 months now)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
heavyD, you got glosso and HC to grow in there? mine cooked (leaves got smaller and smaller) and when i asked a plant expert, he told me that HC especially likes lower temps. mine are running 80-82F with fan off and maybe 77 with it on. dont like the massive evaporation from the fan so i just leave it off, my fish dont seem to mind, and the water for the most part is crystal clear. just wish JBJ put better cooling fans in the light/ballast section, the ones they have now dont seem to do much at all. oh and mine have been running for 5 months now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:45 PM

HC cooked

Yeah, I hate running the fan 24/7, but if I don't I risk a temperature surge into the low 80's just as you experienced. Low 80's will cook the moss if left there for a day or two. The cooling system for these small nanos is worthless in the summer for Texas where I live, and it looks like you are in a much more tropical location........ I just keep the shrimp in mine, no fish. The cherries are tough and versatile, so they can handle some of the small parameter swings with KH and Ph. I lose a shrimp once in a while. What I don't like about my tank is the 6700K lights cast a yellow appearence, at least that is my understanding, and I have a constant yellow cast to the water. I have heard that 10,000K would add more white light to the tank and work as well as the 6700K lights? Anyone know if that is valid? If you want to keep the tank and not worry so much about temperature, go to walmart, kmart, radio shack, and buy a small clip on fan and blow it acroos the water. Works well. Radio shack has more options. They actually carry about 7-8 different sizes of computer cooling fans that can be wired into your system. Too much work for me though. The HC and glosso both have done well, when the shrimp aren't picking them out of the substrate!!! I just have small patches. The tank is dominated by the mosses. I will try and post some photos here.

Darrell

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode