6.6 gallon "Bookshelf" tank - starting over again... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
6.6 gallon "Bookshelf" tank - starting over again...

I finally re-did my 6.6g Petco "Bookshelf" tank. I made the mistake of originally stocking it with about 8 endlers...2 months later I found myself with another 40 just for the offspring.

This time, I setup the tank backwards (bow towards the rear), used an ocean visions black background, and a Coralife 24" NO T5 light. Still using the ZooMed 501 filter, and now, also injecting CO2 via a mini cermic diffusor.

Substrate is Soilmaster select charcoal and a little bit of play sand.
Currently stocked with 6 corydoras pygmaeus, 3 oto's and a few cherry shrimp.
Plants are Blyxa Japonica, and an assortment of Crypts (Crispatula var. Balansae, pontederiifolia, walkeri), and some Anubias Nana.

Need some other ideas on low lying plants other than the normal carpet types...and some nice tiny, hard to spawn fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
This looks very good.

Couple of things... multicolored, or spinach colored frames detract a little from the beauty of the tank

It'd be interesting to see these rather large crypts in a 6.600g tank. I have some balansae with 3 feet leaves

For a low-lying plant with tiny leaves you could use 2-leaved pearlweed... PM me if you want me to send you some to try it out. It's a real ground-hugger for me.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
This looks very good.
Couple of things... multicolored, or spinach colored frames detract a little from the beauty of the tank
Yeah, a little to playful with PS Actions...need to put a stop on there to setup for the color picker
OK, so I re-did them too..

Quote:
It'd be interesting to see these rather large crypts in a 6.600g tank. I have some balansae with 3 feet leaves
For a low-lying plant with tiny leaves you could use 2-leaved pearlweed... PM me if you want me to send you some to try it out. It's a real ground-hugger for me.
Yeah, I know a lot of them can get larger, so it isn't final, just wanted something other than a stem in there. The blyxa is already getting to tall for that little tank.

Hmmm, 2 leaved pearlweed...PM Sent...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Need some other ideas on low lying plants other than the normal carpet types...and some nice tiny, hard to spawn fish.
fish wise - i like pygmy gouramies - they r cute, feisty, and tiny (i don't think they're very hard to breed, but they're not guppies)...

very beautiful tank
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you!

And this weekend, I finally got some other nano fish for this little nano...yes, I know they can eat the plants a bit, but I like them and thought I give them a try, and, they aren't too common and they are REALLY tiny.

Barb Gracilis:

And a few of these (which are some sort of Micro Rasboras as far as I know):

And I just like the way this shot came out:

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Wonder if you could help me with my bookshelf..

Hi, First let me say "WOW" to your tank and pictures!!!!
I just acquired the same bookshelf aquarium and yours is an inspiration!
I would like to set it up with some plants for a betta and maybe some cories, but I am having a hard time deciding what type of 18 inch bulb (to fit the fixture) would be best for this sized tank.
I'm planning on some small growing plants; drawf crypt, anubia nana petite, and some dwarf Sagittaria subulata or pgmy chainsword.
Substrate will be Eco-complete. Hoping to keep this fairly low-tech as to avoid adding DIYco2.
Any suggestions regarding lighting and plants from you would be GREATLY appreciated.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Are these real?

Very nice J! Those gracilis definitely look interesting. Are they juveniles (I am assuming)? Nice colors on that Cherry lady.

Now your frames enhance the images!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet
Hi, First let me say "WOW" to your tank and pictures!!!!
I just acquired the same bookshelf aquarium and yours is an inspiration!
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet
I'm planning on some small growing plants; drawf crypt, anubia nana petite, and some dwarf Sagittaria subulata or pgmy chainsword.
Substrate will be Eco-complete. Hoping to keep this fairly low-tech as to avoid adding DIYco2.
Any suggestions regarding lighting and plants from you would be GREATLY appreciated.
I removed the rim from the top of that tank as it seems sturdy enough to handle it and has been fine for a while now.
With that I couldn't use the stock fixture so I used a Coralife 24" Freshwater Aqualight NO T-5 double fixture on it, which is a 14 watt x 2 setup. It fits perfectly on that tank and it a bit more light than the stock fixture.
If you are using the rim, and the top that goes over it, the standard fixture would work..and with those plants, it should be fine.

If you aren't dosing any CO2, will you be doing Excel? I am actually running pressurized into mine

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Very nice J! Those gracilis definitely look interesting. Are they juveniles (I am assuming)? Nice colors on that Cherry lady.
Now your frames enhance the images!
Thanks! I "aquired" some new plants and will get some shots once they grow in a bit, but I can tell you that they already started, and that blyxa is going nuts in there.

The Gracilis is cool looking and tiny, and my extension tube showed up today, so I will try and get some better shots of them. As far as I know, they aren't really juveniles, and that is about max size for them. I will see over time.

Any ideas on what the other fish there is?

The cherries...just had babies in their new tank yesterday, and they seem to be doing well.

Aside from that...the sand it a bit more work then I expected, but a little thin tubing and a siphon works wonders for cleaning off the stray soilmaster. And, I am re-thinking that "zebra" rock, but in a way, I still kind of like it. Tried some slate pieces and it just didn't work. And I am purposefully avoinding the typical amano grey rocks...besides that sourcing them isn't that easy.

So updates with the extension tubes soon...

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great looking tank & with nice fish! Congrats!!!

I think that rasbora could be Boraras urophthalmoides... Looks similar anyway!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel*Swords
Great looking tank & with nice fish! Congrats!!!

I think that rasbora could be Boraras urophthalmoides... Looks similar anyway!

Thank you!

I am beginning to think that I should have used the Blxya as a background plant here. I might just move it around...any thoughts?

And here are some new shots using the extension tube on my macro lens...wow is that hard to focus!!! And just had to play with some other framing ideas...

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh wow! Have they grown now!

I'd move at least most of them (if not all) to the background so that your nice rock work with the Anubias could be seen... Maybe use some hairgrass in the foreground in its stead?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Blyxa Move Update

OK, well I started moving the Blyxa to the back but didn't want to upset the substrate too much too soon, so on the last water change, they started their migration to the back. The Anubias are starting to get a little algae (as seems normal for me), but everything else is fine. I like them, but I hate that I just can't keep them clean.
At any rate, here is an updated pic. Going to move out that last bunch of Blyxa near the mid-right to kind of open up that path in the middle a bit.

I have also added 2 little Downoi and some dwarf sag near the front, maybe form a little border around the sand with that. And, there is pearlweed that wants to grow vertically rather than horizontally.

I just put in two root tabs near the sides. We'll see if that makes any difference, as well as starting dosing a little excel to help with the anubias situation. Yes, I know they are directly under the lights, so I might have to get more creative with their placement as well.

And there are 3 oto's in there now too. And I am slowly losing the battle against the snails, and would add some Sidmunthki loaches in there, but haven't seen them around. Might have to move them from my 37 soon.

Thanks for all the comments!

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great tank! How has the Zoo Med 501 worked for you? I'm considering this filter for my 5.5g planted tank.

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
OMG that looks like a picture frame! I'll hang it in my room, totally low maintenance!

Looks great J. much bigger than a 6.60 gal tank. Love how the Blyxa grows. And the sand foreground fits in very naturally too. Won't this be too small for Sid's though?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode