New nano-vase project - input requested - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
Wink New nano-vase project - input requested

<THIS WAS POSTED EARLIER IN THE GENERAL FORUM, I CROSS POSTED TO GET DIFFERENT RESPONSES>

I found a really neat jar at a local antique market. Not a mark or a chip on it. It has the following dimensions:

Neck Opening - 5"
Sphere Width - 13.5"
Sphere Height - 11"
Total Height - 13"
(See photo below)

It has a capacity of at least 5 gallons. My hopes are to either make a betta tank or a small tank for either shrimp or tropicals. I have seen tanks with plants which stick up out of the water, but I dont know what kind of plants those are.

I was hoping you guys would help me with some ideas on this unique item.

thanks in advance

chaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lobelia with emersed growth out of the top of that would look lovely when in flower.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
gonna be real hard to clean.....
I would toss a beta in there. Some uwashed flourite and a carpet of Glasso. I have a similar set up and again it is very hard to clean...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJeffers
I would toss a beta in there. Some uwashed flourite and a carpet of Glasso. I have a similar set up and again it is very hard to clean...
Why unwashed?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

my personal experience with Glasso is that it grows really fast with unwashed substrate. I think it likes all the small particals and minerals. Also, I find it grows well near the side of the tank against the glass. Then it spreads into the middle.
I started a tank a while back and washed the flourite and it doesnt seem very happy.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJeffers
If it'll be "real hard to clean" why would you put a betTa in there?

You could put in apple snails. 2 would fit perfect in there as each need 2.5 each.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

You could put in apple snails. 2 would fit perfect in there as each need 2.5 each.

Because Bettas are beautiful??? Thats why I would....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice!

I wouldn't go with emersed growth since the top is pretty small. For starters get some moss and or Nijas grass (sp) floating it will look great with a betta in there.

I have yet to take any pictures but I just started a 2.5 jar and used the following.
Dwarf Sag
Java Moss
Frogbit

1 male betta
several pond snails
No filter
no heater

1ml of excel a day when in the office.

10 hr photo period with a screwin CF at 6500K

Starting to get some spot algae on the glass but it won't be nearly as hard to clean as that pumpkin you have.

Love the idea! Keep us up to date. Should be fun.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I think it may be a little difficult to view anything through it. Julie I think you are talking about glosso. A peace lilly and a beta would be kinda cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
I think it may be a little difficult to view anything through it. Julie I think you are talking about glosso. A peace lilly and a beta would be kinda cool

You people just don't listen.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

not quite sure what you mean and why...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl
You people just don't listen.
And why is that!!

|
|
|
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cuz our heads are stuck in a jar!!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
That's what she means, I think.

Here's the thing: people come up with all sorts of kooky novelty tank ideas all the time (remember goldfish in the heels of platform shoes? There's also someone else on another board who wants to turn an overpriced Pottery Barn glass vase-bottomed table lamp into a nano right now too)...

...I think people fly off in flights of fancy and tend to go a little amok when it comes to designing tanks because they do excite our sense of wonder and creativity. However, just because you can stick a fish in it doesn't always mean you should. Snails and even shrimp have very small biological 'footprints', but fish are much messier by comparison: they excrete far more waste than either of the former two.

Would you want to be locked in a tiny circular room with your own poop? Would anybody besides R. Kelly?

IMO it'd be a better idea to start w/ a planted tank, possibly a couple inverts as mentioned, and go from there. Personally I think some reddish plants would make that thing look amazing. One more little consideration too - when this thing is filled more than halfway with water, it'll be easier to tip or roll too. You should consider some kind of support or brace for the bottom.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, i see your point, but it really doesnt apply here. This isnt a platform shoe or a teacup, its a nice vase, 5+ gallons, and I think it will be a beautiful tank, however, I arrange it. I was/am simply looking for ideas. I have seen fish in MUCH worse. (this is the nano tank forum, isnt it?)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode