Heavily Planted 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Heavily Planted 10g

I am setting up a new 55g tank, so my 6 Harlequin Rasboras and male betta will be moving out of my 10g.

I want to take this opportunity to increase the lighting from 2wpg to atleast 4wpg. I want to get the Hagen Natural Plant System for CO2 and change the substrate to Eco-Complete (or something dark).

I want the 10g to be heavily planted. Right now it is planted, but looks like a messy jungle.

Can anyone suggest what plants would be good for a 10g? I would love to have glosso or dwarf hairgrass as a foreground. What background plants would work out? What is your experience with a 10g tank (or another similar size).

Also, what fish suggestions can you all offer? I want to be understocked. I have been thinking about an Apisto pair or a Blue ram pair.
I already have neons, head and tailights, glowlights, harlies, flame/von rios tetras, and rummynose tetras, so please don't suggest those (going for something different).

Oh, and my water is a little hard (GH 9)...and pH is around 6.8-7.

Thanks in advance!

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
do you have a pic of the tank?

Filstar pimp#48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes I do...but keep in mind I want to change it....pretty much completely take it down and redo it.

Its very disorganized. I really just wanted to give my harlies some plants to hide in...just in case the betta wasn't friendly.

Sorry...the picture is kind of small.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I use Rotala rotundifolia, various Bacopa sp., java fern, corkscrew vals, and anacharis for background plants in ten gallon tanks. I've had success with glosso and lileaopsis as a foreground. Some anubias nana petite on driftwood would look good. As far as inhabitants, have you considered shrimp? Maybe a few peaceful fish to go with them like corys or otos. Blue rams are a cool fish if you've never kept them before. You can save a few bucks buy forgoing the hagen system and building your own. I use a fine mist air stone under the filter intake and it works just as good as the ladder, much easier to hide too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
I vote for shrimp too, they will like your water. Some Spixi and/or Red Ramshorn snails (just a few). A school of pygmy Corys would be cool http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...dora/283_F.PHP , http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...dora/482_F.PHP , http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...dora/324_F.PHP , and a few Albino Long Fin Bristlenose (ALFs) too.

If you go with shrimp pick a type of moss to put in the tank, some ferns and/or petite anubias, glosso. Then you would need some background plants, I like L. Aromatica and Rotala Rotundifolia. Don't forget some driftwood for the plecs...DC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Albino Long Fin Bristlenose (ALFs) too
Are you serious? They get too large for a 10g. Aren't they even longer than normal BN's? I have a regular one and he is about 4 inches. I couldn't imagine the nitrate level in my 10g if I had a poop machine in there! I plan on getting one for my new 55g though. I love the look of the longfin ones.

I have a blue ram already in a 55g. She has been with me for about 4 or 5 months now...no problems.

I would like to get a pair of rams or Apistos. Not sure though. I may just get a school of small tetras.

I will definitely have some moss in the tank. I have Taiwon moss everywhere! It started in one tank (the 55g), now i have it in all 3 tanks. I would love to have some shrimp...but I don't remember seeing them at a LFS in the area. I need to go shop around and see what the different stores have. I haven't done that in a while.

Thanks for the suggestions...and keep them coming! I have been browsing around and looking at other people's 10g tanks. Some are just amazing. I would love to have an amazing tank!

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Animals20
Are you serious? They get too large for a 10g. Aren't they even longer than normal BN's? I have a regular one and he is about 4 inches. I couldn't imagine the nitrate level in my 10g if I had a poop machine in there! I plan on getting one for my new 55g though. I love the look of the longfin ones.
Yup, I'm serious. I have several in my 10s, when they get full grown you just move them, or better yet auction them, I know of a pair that went for $160. None of my 30+ BNs are poop factories but they are excellent janitors. It is incredible how a dozen 2 inch BNs can clean an algae ridden tank.....DC
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah..they definitely do a good job of algae cleaning. My BN in my 55g only shows his face every now and then. I have a big piece of DW and he hangs out there all day. He will come out sometimes for an algae wafer, but doesn't like for me to get too close.

Quote:
I use Rotala rotundifolia, various Bacopa sp., java fern, corkscrew vals, and anacharis for background plants in ten gallon tanks
You just named most of the plants in my 10g now.
I want to increase the lighting so I can grow glosso or hairgrass. I haven't tried either in my light now, but I don't want to buy it unless I know I can keep it alive.

I want some of those pretty plants people use...like L. aromatica, needle leaf Ludwigia, Eusteralis stellata...stuff like that. That's why I'm increasing and adding CO2. Hopefully I can grow something of that nature.

Diablo: I was wondering how long a long-finned BN gets...when full size, including the tail.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I picked up 2 20w CF bulbs today, so if they fit, I will plan on having 4 wpg. Yay! Now I just can't wait to set up my 55g so that I can redo the 10g. I have too many projects going on.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Careful if you add shrimp. Your betta may or may not make a snack of them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the warning. I am really considering a trio of Apistogrammas. The betta and harlequin rasboras will be moving out. They will be going to my new 55g. I guess I'm going to throw out the idea of shrimp. I think they would be better in a shrimp only tank.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode