Extra 2.5gal tank. Some ideas please. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

PTrader: (0/0%)
Extra 2.5gal tank. Some ideas please.

This is the tank I have that is now empty http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...5&N=2004+62761

My wife was housing a betta in it until it died.

I was thinking it might work as a planted nano tank, but am wondering what might work. I see that I can replace the incandescent bulb with a power compact one.

Any who, your thoughts?

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I replaced the bulb in mine with a power compact one and have it planted with crypts, stem plants, java moss, riccia, and anubias. I dose small amounts of the same ferts in my big tank and use Excel for a carbon source. Everything seems to grow really well. See my sig for the tank journal. The sole inhabitant of mine is a male dwarf puffer fish.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

Thanks Kathy,

So you didnt use any Eco-complete or Fluorite? Just straight gravel?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Yes, I just used straight gravel. But if I had it to do over again, I'd use Flourite. I just used Flourite to get a 5 gallon hex going and I'm toying with the idea of redoing the substrate in the 2.5 with what's left in the bag. I think one bag is about perfect to do a 5 gallon and a 2.5! My plants are doing okay with the gravel, though -- but dwarf puffers are sort of messy eaters, so lots of dropped food and lots of fish poop means lots of water changes, but also lots of mulm to enrich the junky gravel substrate, I guess!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you do gravel get the real small stuff.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

Im thinking Ill just use some Eco-Complete. Only thing is Im not going to use a whole bag of it and I have no need for the rest.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Yes, I used the really small sized gravel and I think it wound up looking fine.

Maybe if you ask around, you'll have a friend interested in starting up a small tank. Or those MiniBows are under $30 a lot of places -- you could start up two with two totally different looks -- they might look cool on the same countertop or on two different tables in the same room.

I do like the Red Sea Nano filter I'm using on mine -- I didn't like the internal filter that came with the MiniBow for a planted tank. I thought it took up too much potential planting space, but the Red Sea nano is small, quiet, and seems to work well for this purpose. I use a Hydor 7.5 watt mini heater under the gravel, but it could also be installed against a tank wall -- but if you used fish that didn't need as much warmth as a dwarf puffer, you could obviously go without a heater since the lights will warm up the tank a bit during the day.

Can't wait to see pictures of your work in progress!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

You may find Eco-Complete to be too big - might make your tank look teensy.

The ADA Amazonia Aquasoil comes in two sizes, small (1-3mm) and powdered. Expensive? Yes. However, one small bag should be more than enough for a 2.5 gallon... and less headaches later on with stuff like adding iron supplements, etc.

Either way can't wait to see whatcha do with it!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/Paramedic

Who sells that? I googled it but just saw discussions about it.

Edit: Nevermind found it. Not too bad, Im digging the powder stuff.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:17 PM

I would think In Tampa the temp would not get cold enough to need a heater but I could be wrong. I say go with the more plant substrates since that is what they are designed for. As for animal life the puffer would be cool but limits you if you wanted anything els since they can have a big mouth or shrimp and cloud minnows. My only idea on plants are to go small and have fun with it. The perfect tank is what you think looks good
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:23 PM

I agree with h20 plant about the dwarf puffer -- mine is alone because he ate baby shrimp, harrassed snails (and ate small ones), and harrassed the occasional fish fry that I put in there to clear out planaria and such. Not a good community tank member at all! But he is interesting to watch if you don't mind just one fish in the tank. And, of course, with 2.5 gallons, you're not going to have many fish, regardless of what species you choose.

Other options might include cherry shrimp and maybe a single pretty mystery snail (pomacea bridgesii) or a few small fish like Endlers. The 2.5 gallon is a lot of fun, but it can be a challenge to keep a tank this small balanced and to work with the limitations of just 2.5 gallons (having to choose few, small fish, etc.) But it's an enjoyable challenge!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:30 PM

Yea I wanted a dwarf-puffer because of their personality but that was also a problem. Yea just go small for what ever animal you get. all this talk about this tank wants me to get it
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Take a look at the Dario Dario. The male is a beautiful little fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode