Newbie starting a 3 gallon nano bowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie starting a 3 gallon nano bowl

Hello, I just joined this forum. I am thinking of starting a 3 gallon nano bowl to take with me to university. I was just curious about what to do since I have never had a nano before.

I never really had much luck with plants, but I think that is what I am going to have to do because I am not going to put a filter in there. My only problem with plants is that I always have problems with those DIY CO2 things and just screw everything up. So if it is possible to have a nano with no filtration or CO2 that will be great.

I was thinking of adding like 1 or 2 java ferns and some java moss and maybe some duckweed (even though apparently that will overcrowd the top), since they don't require much light or serious maintainence. Also, because all the pet stores around me carry aquarium plants that are never labelled and don't have much variety to choose forum, or else I would have bought some anubias.

I was also wondering about fisht that could go in there. I don't want to go for the typical betta, but something perhaps more colorful and lively as well as 1 or 2 ghost shrimp.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
Ohh, the possibilities...

Will you have some sort of light over it? Or will it be just room lighting for the plants. Java fern, java moss and duckweed should all grow just fine under roomlighting, but a little more can give you quite a few more options for plants.

It's completely plausible to do a small nano without filtration or lighting, but if you are to go that way, I think I would avoid fish. It's not much of a space in the first place. However, a few cherry shrimp would be a very nice addition, and would happily reproduce for you.

I'm sure theres something I'm missing here, I just can't seem to think of what...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, it will be exposed to both a desk light I and natural lamp.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
You could run a 3 gal bowl using some simple substrate like gravel and a bubbler/air pump to stop the water going stagnant. Add some java fern tied to small dark coloured rocks and a little Taiwan moss. Perhaps add an Anubias nana or petite also tied to a small rock. Change the water (70%) once a week like clockwork. Use a small halogen or other desk lamp for 8 hours a day - on a timer. Add some shrimp. Forget fish unless you want to try some endlers. Tend toward the low-light side. The shrimp will eat algae and flake or shrimp pellets. If you get algae that's ugly, use some Flourish Excel to kill it off - it will not harm the shrimp. That's my 0.02c
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I have selected gravel and something for surface agitation (hopefully I can hide it with plants).

I will purchase my java fern and java moss (since they don't sell Taiwan moss here) when I get the chance. As I said in my first post, variety for plants are very limited here and any type fo the Anubias sp. would be one of the first plants would I get, however, they don't sell them here.

I was curious as to how come I couldn't have a single fish in there, if it was heavily planted with java fern and moss?

Yeah shrimp were one of my choices. I am deliberating between ghost and cherry. I have always had ghosts and find them fairly entertaining but I have been hearing a lot of good stuff about cherries (mostly their color). So I will have to decide about that soon.

Thanks again for your post.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Fish are limiting in such circumstances. Shrimp are low maintenance creatures and you will get at least as much pleasure out of watching them as you would from a fish.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:00 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
cherry will reproduce easier than ghost - usually. I have a 10 gallon aqaurium sitting in a window with 100's of unknown shirmp in it. It does have a filter on it, and occasionally I even feed them. Between the plants (native najas I think) and the tons of shrimp - it has no algae. FWIW I do want to upgrade it with better light and perhaps some substrait.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

I think I might mix it up with ghost shrimp (cause they are readily available and cheap at my lfs) and maybe one or two cherry shrimp (that I see once in a blue moon at my lfs and are pretty pricey for shrimp). Will there be an issue if I mix these species, and if I choose to add the ghost shrimp, will they be very prone to jump out?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:07 PM
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
I've got a 4 gallon-ish cube with a HOB filter with no filter media. It's well planted with some hairgrass, HC, willow moss and blyxa. No CO2, excel and NPK+micros and Mg/Ca when I think about it.

4 fish - 3 ottos, 1 platy. 4-6 ramshorn snails (presently). 50% WC every week or two. No problems.

For that size, cherry shrimp are probably more entertaining, but you can get some fish for sure. Don't change too much water or you might have an ammonia spike (never, ever 100% or really close), but just keep regular with 50-70% weekly and you're fine.

You could get a 2.5 or 5.5 gallon AGA tank that would be a little more flexible in terms of a filter and lighting and both have a fairly small footprint. Both nice sizes for a university dorm. There are tons of other options as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Oh really?!

What are my other options?

What fish could I put in there then?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:12 PM
csf
Planted Member

You just mentioned a 3 gallon bowl. You could get a 2.5 or a 5.5 gallon tank - a standard size. Eclipse makes several small sizes as well. Some have lights, some don't and generally the lighting is weak. You listed slower growing plants, so it shouldn't be a problem with less lighting.

Nano cubes come in a 6 gallon version, I think. Look through this nano forum and see what people are doing. While it's a little bigger than you thought about initially, I think the 7 gallon bowfront tanks are very, very slick.

You have several options, look through here to see how some others figured out a solution to their nano tanks. I see several topics on the front page for 1.25, 5.5 and 6 gallon tanks. Look around and see if something strikes your fancy.

You can still do a 3 gallon bowl and you can do it well, but a cube tank may be more space efficient for the same gallonage (squares fit better with other squares than a round tank would, but you know your constraints better than any of us).
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

W00t, I put in my order for my java fern and moss and should get it in about 2 to 3 weeks. I have never kept any aquatic plant before, so I have no idea what to do to take care of them. Help please.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
csf
Planted Member

Go to the "plants" section of this forum and run a search on "java fern" or "Microsorum pteropus" (the latin name). There are several varieties - windolev, narrow leaf, tropica, "red" and a few others. It's fairly hardy, slower growing and the various varieties get to several different sizes. The "regular" will up upwards of 12" (maybe more or less, I haven't had any in lots of years), while the windolev and narrow leaf versions will stay under about 3" and 6" respectively (my experience talking).

www.tropica.com also has a plant section with some care information.

The main thing is "don't bury the rhizome (place where roots and leaves grow from)". It needs to be attached to wood, rock or plumbing with string, staples (not through rhizome), rubber bands, etc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode