Nano tank aquascaping thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nano tank aquascaping thread

I'd like to create this for a resource for people struggling or looking for help with smaller tanks and how to make them look good.

Lets face it, it is always a struggle for newbies and oldies to scape inside of difficult dimensions.

So for now, I'd like to list out a few of my tools I use to successfully scape each of my tank. If you're starting out a tank, try doing it like this. If it doesn't work for you, that's OK, try it your own way! No aquascape is right or wrong, and each could always be improved, if only slightly.

1. I start any scape by looking at my tank and its dimensions. Each has a positive and negative quality.

A. The taller your tank is, the more difficult it usually is to scape, but I've been told it is easier to create a field of depth.

B. The wider it usually is, I find it easy to scape, but not the best for depth. These tanks can be awesome for both your plants and shrimp, however.

2. So you've considered your tanks strengths and weaknesses.. Now try to conceptualize how you'll use them to your advantage, what will utilize every inch of space.

A. Most people choose to work with rocks or driftwood, but some people create AMAZING things out of plaster and wiring.

B. Other times, people do an entire scape with plants. I've seen some amazing ones, too, so while this is daunting, it should be considered!

3. Once you've decided how you will use your tank, consider what you'd like to see in a tank. I eventually hope to have this set up so there are pictures and advice littered throughout the thread, but look around, and decide what fits your next whim.

A. Think about what styles would entertain you most. Maybe Dutch, Japanese, or any mix of anything out there. An ever popular scape will always be Iguami. It just looks darned neat, and each is unique in some way.

B. Now consider how your plants can add or take away from that. Plants can never be an afterthought in a really nice looking aquarium. Mosses, stem plants, floaters and low to the ground bushier plants all have merits which can add or detract from your look.

4. Once you've done these things, why not play around with your materials? You'll have to at some point, so this is a good time, but first you must obtain them. There are different ways to do this.

A. Perhaps you're adventurous! Go into the woods.. Maybe you'll find wood you want to use (If you do, make sure you try to press your thumbnail into the bark, if it makes an indentation with a medium amount of force, don't use it in your aquarium) or some stones you need to have. This is a great and relaxing way of collecting your vision. Not to mention you can pick it right out.

B. Admittedly not the most cost effective way of doing things, you could purchase a box o' rocks or a box o' wood. Don't count it out. You really can narrow down what you're getting if you do some good research. Feel free to ask in here where to get various types of stone/wood. I know a bunch of different people who carry things on this site.

5. Once you have the materials you want to use, make sure you've got your other ideas settled. For example, know what substrate you're using, what your goal is with the tank, and know the best way to accomplish those goals (some substrates raise or lower PH).

6. Now that you've got the boring conceptual stuff out of the way, time to try scaping!!!! Before putting water in, put in a deep layer of substrate. You can always change this, so best to do it before the water is in.

Your best bet for this step is doing what you're about to do in 5-15 minute bursts. It just works well that way. You work for a bit and put things down and come back to it later. It gives your mind time to decide what looks best.

Now once you've got your substrate in, you should place your materials all around the front of the tank. It allows you to think about what you might want where. Remember your prior plans as to how you'll utilize your space. Once you've got your ideas, put what you want inside the glass and play with it in there.

If you're stuck, walk away, look at tanks here for inspiration and come back later. You can always post it here for further help.

I really find playing with scapes before you flood a tank aids in the process. You can add or subtract substrate, move things around easily and without a mess.

I find all too many people add substrate, fauna then ask what they can do. It is very difficult if you're working in that environment, but if you visualize and work in a productive manner, you'll create much better scapes.

*Retired for now*
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nano tank aquascaping thread

I'll start the thread off with a few of my scapes as I'm scaping them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366152429.369527.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	127089

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366152523.829733.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	127097

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode