How many plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How many plants?

I'm in the process of setting up a 2.5 gallon AGA (no heater, air driven sponge filter & 23w CFL bulb). I've gotten to the point where I need to order plants online. I've been to 5 chain stores, 3 local stores and have basically exhausted my LFS options. Besides an occasional anubias or clump of Anacharis/Elodea I'm not finding any variety in the stores.

I've never ordered plants online, so I'm unsure of the size that's usually shipped/sold and thus the number of plants I need to reach a level of "heavily planted".

My original plant plan was:
1 cryptocoryne wendtii
1 anubias
6 sagittaria
1 hair grass potted
1 golf ball size of moss
1 portion of salvinia

The more tank journals I browse, the more I think the above is too few plants. I probably need to add some stem plants too.

I've since tripped over a different online store where the Cryptocoryne are sold in groups of 6+, and the sagittaria is sold in groups of 4. At first I thought this would be too many, now I'm unsure.

To make matters more confusing, I was in PetCo and found a little baggie of "Betta Plants" that had 6+ cryptocoryne wendtti (or so it was labeled) for $7, and the entire plants with roots were about 2" tall. I realized that I have no idea what size aquarium plants are normally shipped at, and haven't been able to find any reviews of the stores beyond "Love it" or "hate it".

So, what's the average size of plants shipped out? Is there an average? How many more plants should I order to get closer to "heavily planted"? Do I need to double/triple/quadruple my numbers, or am I close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Planted Member

Go on to the want to buy section of the forum and post what you want and someone will sell it to you for a cheaper price than many of the online stores Bamaplants and aquabid are also good options. Also I wouldn't recommend crypts for a 2.5 gallon. I had them in my 2.5 gallon and they kept melting due to instability. Also most get a kind of big or at least have big leaves. I also wouldn't recomend most types of anubias since their big leaves throw off the perspective of a small tank... small tanks small leafed plants.

When it comes to numbers you'll want more for sure, I would do something like:
6 dwarf sagg
6 stems star grass
5 frogbit plus handful of salvinia
6 stems of something like a rotala
6 stems of something like a hygro

This would give you a good variety and probably look pretty full. here's a look at mine https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=306337 it has a lot of those plants and it the same size. I would also suggest you look into your lighting, since 13W is probably all you need unless you want to have your light high above the tank or use CO2.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How many plants?

Thanks for the reply and the recommendations!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode