first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
first planted tank

I have done cichlids, fowlr, reef and other freshwater, and I am now trying plants. I have set up a 5.5 with leftover equipment. It has a 2X9 watt 6500 k on it. I used eco as my substrate. I started a fish cycle with some fast growing stem plants, wisteria (sp?) and a hyrgo...I am dosing CO2, with this kit that I won...Only thing I paid for so far was the eco, so i decided to give it a shot. Question is, am I on the right track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM

2x9W is way to little light for plants
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

do you think you can explain why to me? I understand that watt per gallon rule does not apply for small tanks, but why can poeple grow plants with a single 13 watt on 5 gallons then, just trying to learn more...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:47 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
That is enough light. Depending on what you want to grow. i'm not experienced with that light on that tank, so you basically have to try plants out and see what works. Not everything will grow in there, that's for sure.

What is this co2 "kit"? Is it carbo-plus or something?

I'd say you are definitely on the right track. What fish are you planning on?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I am planting plants said to be fairly simple, i guess i will stick to low light, or is it an absolute most that I upgrade? the CO2 i am using is essentially like the DIY ones, but its made for you.... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113779 here is the link to it, i won it at my LFS and its actually what prompted me to try my hand at planted tanks. I will probably do a DIY after the supply runs out. I think i am just gonna stick with the white clouds i am cycling with since its just basically trying to learn the basics of planting...thanks for the help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Planted Member

Try checking out the section on lighting over at rexGrigg.com, it should help you understand a little more about lights needed.
In my opinion, 2 x 9W is enought light for a nice low-light, low-tech, low maintainence set-up. You'll still have a ton of plants to play with and still be able to come up with something really nice, you're only limited to your own imagination.
It doesn't hurt to have C02, but it's also not really needed with your lights(2 x 9W)...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode