4 Litre Pico Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
4 Litre Pico Journal

I've been visiting this site for a while, since I set up my first planted tank ( 28 litre/5 imp. gallon ) late last year. I've learned a lot - thanks everybody!

I'm now on my second aquascape, a small 4 litre tank and thought I'd share some pictures of its progress (the photgraphs are all taken with the camera on my 'phone, so I apologise about the quality).

The tank ( actually it's a vase ) is 6 x 6 x 9 inches. The substrate is Onyx Sand and 3mm black gravel. Filter is an Azoo h.o.b. filter and light is a 13 watt Azoo clip-on. The tank is unheated. I've used different CO2 sources at different times - DIY, Excel and Dennerle biological from my main tank ( I replace these bottles every 4 weeks, but they still have a week or two of life left in them).

First to go in was some HC, a rock with Java moss and some Echinodorus tennellus and hairgrass. After a few weeks I added some White Cloud Mountain Minnows. I was concerned about how many I could add, but after reviewing some of the posts here, I decided on three. My LFS sold White Clouds in fours, so that is what I got. I was prepared to move them to my main tank, but actually, they seem to be doing fine, their colours are really bright and they seem happy.

I planted the background with Hemianthus Micranthemoides and added a little riccia. The CO2 diffusor here was a temporary improvisation, and it was around this time that I learned that daily top-ups would prevent the limescale ring around the top!

Later I added a ludwigia to the rear left-hand corner and hydrocotyle verticillata to the front right. I also added four cherry shrimp. I started getting a lot of algae at this point. The shrimp aren't making much impact on it yet. Although I don't mind the algae on the plants too much, I do have to scrape it off the glass about once a week at the moment.

The latest addition is the CO2 diffusor. I'm hoping that more consistent CO2 will cause the plants to grow faster and eliminate the algae.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Algae Grower

Very Cool, I think i have the same vase, (i bought mine from Ikea here in Canada)...
Question for you, how are you doing your co2? If it is DIY, what kind of bottle/mix?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I re-use the Dennerle bottles: they are already fitted with a cap with a fitting for the tube. I've used recipes for the mixture that I've found on this site and others. Currently using two cups of sugar, half a tablespoon of yeast and top up with warm water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode