6 Gallon Eclips nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
6 Gallon Eclips nano

After the past two years of not having a fish tank, I am relieved when my schedule has allowed me to "maybe" have one. I travel a lot, but I'm going to do a low light, low maintenence tank. Probably some java because it's near impossible to kill, and maybe some shrimp of some sort. I became fascinated with shrimp back in the days of my reef tanks. However, time and energy are devoted other places.

I would attach pictures of what I have set up right now, but I don't think I have enough posts! Ha. Oh well. It's an Eclipse 6 with a 10k bulb in it. I've kept everything from baby triggers, to octopus, to african cichlid fry to who knows what else. I might have even had blastumusa in it at one point. Its time for me to try my hand at plants again. I've kept java with my africans and years ago when I was a teenager I had some val and crypts.

I would like to get some cherry shrimp or amano shrimp but I think I need to read more about them before I jump in. What are some small low light plants. I've read other nano posts and I'm still trying to decide what to get. Any rec's. thanks
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Planted Member

Java moss, Java fern, Anubias/Nanas, Liverwort, Duckweed, Bacopa, Anacharis, Downoi...

Check this out: https://www.plantedtank.net/plants.php
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
i would suggest some other things too ive had LOTS of sucess with moss in LOW light tanks.. around 1.5 wpg and also cabomba is usually works well for me and its stunning.

good luck!

shrimp are a good choice! as long as there is algea in there =)

- fish newb

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I am running a planted Eclipse 6 gallon with java ferns on bogwood, java moss and naja grass right now. I only have cherry shrimp in this tank (about 30 and babies on the way) and everything is doing very well including the plants; and this was prior to my AH Supply upgrade (1 x 13 watt) from the the stock 8 watt lighting.

Dosing with Excel will also help your plants 'flourish' under the stock lighting if you don't plan on retrofitting your lighting set up.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventure!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I've done the CF upgrade before. I used to have two of them on an old eclips 6 and I had mushrooms and other low light corals in it. But it created too much heat for the tank. I'm going to stick with what I have until I feel like I got this plant thing down. How big are your cherry shrimp?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 AM

My Cherry Shrimp range in size from big mommas pushing .75 inches to teenie newborns.

You're right about the overheating though. I keep my lid off to cool things down and to keep the condensation from getting into the lighting fixtures.

A few things to consider, based on experience with Cherry Shrimp in a 6 gallon planted Eclipse are:

- trim some length off the filter intake tube so it doesn't get too close to your substrate and the shrimp

- to prevent your shrimp getting sucked through the filter, cover the intake end with sponge, filter fiber or panty hose (if you're a guy, I suggest getting some from your girlfried/wife or if you're into hose, that makes it easier).

- I highly recommend some java moss for your tank since it does well with the stock lighting. Your shrimp will thank you and they'll be much happier, especially the babies.

I hope some of this helps. Again, good luck!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

That absolutely helps. Now if I can just find someone in England who sells Cherry shrimp. So apparently they breed like crazy. Any differences in males and females?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
That absolutely helps. Now if I can just find someone in England who sells Cherry shrimp. So apparently they breed like crazy. Any differences in males and females?
you can tell the diffrences with a few things

1- mostly the females are "deeper" red in color
2- the females have a yellow saddle when they are ready to bread or eggs give it away

best of luck!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Agreed with above.

The females tend to be slightly fuller and larger as well. And in my tank, the males tend to "be on top" when trying to get busy with females.

You might want to talk to the forum member, TheTeh. He lives in London, takes brilliant pictures of his shrimp and seems to have a wide variety and great knowledge of them. He might be able to point you in the right direction on where to get your hands on some Cherry Shrimp.

When you get your shrimp, feed them a healthy and varying diet. This will ensure nice coloration and healthy shells and will increase the chances of your shrimp breeding. I alternately feed my shrimp Hikari Tropical Flakes, Hikari Crab Cuisine, frozen blood worms (rarely) and boiled spinach.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode